New to dish and the forum

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mandeville985

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2016
Mandeville, La
just had my hopper 3 with 3 joeys installed yesterday. Had a couple of concerns.. One of my joeys kept showing the "press select to watch tv" screensaver come on every 4 mins or so. Dish had me reset the hopper then the Joey to clear it up. I know the hopper 3 is brand new so is it common to have errors like this when equipment first launches? I also noticed Netflix app was sluggish on other joeys. Takes a long time to load and picture is very pixelated for first 3 or 4 minutes. Would it be beneficial to hook up cat 5 to the joeys? I have my whole house wired in every room. Dish tech support said the joeys should communicate to the hopper via the coax. Does this seem right?

Welcome to the Circus! Dish does not officially support the use of ethernet to Joey. It should work, but should you ever call about "communication" problems between Joey and Hopper, the first thing they are going to tell us is to use the coax.

...I also noticed Netflix app was sluggish on other joeys. Takes a long time to load and picture is very pixelated for first 3 or 4 minutes. Would it be beneficial to hook up cat 5 to the joeys? I have my whole house wired in every room. Dish tech support said the joeys should communicate to the hopper via the coax. Does this seem right?

To answer your question regarding Netflix, yes it will be slow on a Joey (regular or wireless) as compared to the H3. That's typical. I have a Joey in a bedroom with a direct Ethernet connection as well as coax and there is no speed improvement. Once it gets into Netflix it isn't that bad, but the lag is definitely noticeable.

Have seen pixelation (or a low definition image) at the start of some Netflix shows but not minutes like you mentioned. Normally a few seconds, if at all. We have a pretty fast Internet connection, too. Happens more often when the entire house is cramming the network with this download and that from their devices.

Very true.. we have a Roku in our BR TV for NF as well as Amazon Prime, etc. and it is much quicker to respond. I've seen the initial pixelaton with our Roku on occasion. We have a fast connection as well but even with nothing else active it still happens now and then. Not a biggee, as long at it never comes back which is does not.

Reactions: Mandeville985
Very true.. we have a Roku in our BR TV for NF as well as Amazon Prime, etc. and it is much quicker to respond. I've seen the initial pixelaton with our Roku on occasion. We have a fast connection as well but even with nothing else active it still happens now and then. Not a biggee, as long at it never comes back which is does not.

I hit about 65 Mbps down so doubtful its network related. Everything does seem to be running a bit smoother today. I wasn't aware that sometimes the equipment takes a little bit to get comfy.

I hit about 65 Mbps down so doubtful its network related. Everything does seem to be running a bit smoother today. I wasn't aware that sometimes the equipment takes a little bit to get comfy.

I believe navychop was referring to the Hopper itself. Where it takes time to download all the guide info, icons, etc...

As for the Joeys you referenced, there is no "getting comfy" with respect to its overall responsiveness getting better with time. Netflix will take a while to get going no matter what, so will most of the apps. Still, not complaining. They never were designed to be monsters as far as the processing power.

However I did notice that lately the Joey's DVR list of recordings it gets from the Hopper while a little sluggish does not seem to be taking a long time to fully display as you have more and more individual recordings (main show icons) over time. In the past it was obviously slower to me as the list started to grow. Or it may just be my imagination!

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)