New to dish HD - how can I add another receiver and TV

scubadude

Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I'm looking for some help regarding adding another TV myself. I've only had DISH HD for a couple of months and am reading as much as I can but can't seem to find any info. on adding another Tv.

I currently have a VIP622?? HD DVR dual receiver running two Tv's and then another single TV and receiver in another room.

Is it possible to add another TV in my basement. I'd like to do it myself if its even possible.

What equipment do I need? Do I need to upgrade or change my dish? etc etc.

Any advice is really appreciated.

First place to start is 1-800-333-3474 and see what DISH will do for you.

The second place is tell us what you have exactly for equipment. A guess would be a 1000.2 dish with a basic receiver311 as the second receiver. If you had a 322 as the second receiver all you would need is a line to the 4th TV, or if it is a DISH 1000 you would need a switch to add a 3rd receiver.

Not sure from your info but sounds like you have a 622 and another receiver hooked up. If you have a dish 1000 you would need a external switch to hookup a 4th receiver. Thats unless you got a dual tuner receiver in which case you could hook it up. A dish 1000 will support 2 boxes or 4 tuners. If you have a dish 1000.2 you can go 3 boxes or 6 tuners. We need more info to help any further.

Ok not sure what dish I have. Is it in the intsall paperwork? I've only had the HD dish about 2 months. I know the dish has two wires off it and has three of the little receiver modules on it.

As for the box ya one is a 622 hooked running two tv's. The other is a 311 running one tv.

Assuming I have a dish 1000.2 would I need to find the wire in the house where it comes in from the dish and splits to the two different boxes and just add a new wire for the other receiver?

Thanks for the help guys.

The dish I have is a dish 1000. 2

You mentioned a switch I would need to add the 4th TV.

Anymore information on the switch. Brand, model etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Since you have a 1000.2 you can have 3 boxes hooked up with no additional equipment. Thats up to 6 tuners if they are dual. You didnt mention if you had another receiver or what you were planning to add. Each of the 2 wires coming in now goes to one of the receivers. You cannot split a sat line with a splitter like cable. You must run a new 3rd line from the dish all the way to the new receiver for it to work. Another option is to upgrade the 2nd box to a dual tuner if it is not already. You will save $5 a month for not having another box that way and can work a 4th tv.

If it's just another SD tv and you don't mind sharing the agile (rf coax output) to another tv maybe you can get an amplified splitter from Radio Shack and (I use a 4 output one with my 522) and buy another uhf remote from Dish or Ebay and run another coax down to the basement.

Thanks for the reply. Next question is how to run the cable from the dish. If I'm actually looking at the dish will I see a obvious connection point?

Will the cable just hook up in a screw type connector next to the other two cables.

If its pretty straightforward I'll have problem accessing the dish and running the third cable into the attic. Is there anything else you think I need to be aware of. Any risk of electrical issues on the dish itself that I should watch for?
I really appreciate your help.

Just pop off the 2 screws under the lnb and it slides off. From there you will see the cables are just screw on compression fittings. There will be 4 ports on the lnb. You need to plug into the out port, not the in lnb in port. That one is for adding a 4th location. The recievers only supply 18v or so to the lnb. It wont shock you or anything, but you can short out a receiver. Dont touch the stinger to any metal part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)