New to Dish & HD - Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dollar4adonut

Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Austin, TX
Great forum...too much information!?! I would appreciate some guidance from those that are more familiar with HD and Dish.

1. I've signed up for an installation for next week with 2 HD receivers (ViP211) and 2 SD DVR receivers. I picked those options to avoid any out of pocket costs. However, I was thinking about changing one of the ViP211s to a 622 until I read all of the problems regarding the HDMI.
-Should I go ahead and get the 622 and just expect that I'll have to use composite because of the possibility that the HDMI connection will not work?
-Is there a huge difference in picture quality with the composites?
-Also, is this problem isolated to the 622 or is it prevalent on the 211 as well?
-Anything else I should keep in mind?

2. I will be getting a HD TV the day before (still deciding on the brand/model-suggestions welcomed-too much info here too), so I'm new to the technology as well. Besides the basic cables and ota, is there anything else that I'll need?

3. Probably the most important question is what should I expect (demand??) from the installation? I've read people talking about the dish types, angles, switches (what are switches??), signal rating on 129 /110 and now don't want the installer to do a quick job, walk away, and I not know any better.

Any guidance would be welcomed!!

Note: As I dive into this new world of 'cool' tv, I've asked myself once or twice, "Is it worth this hassle?" Today, I have a basic digital cable and a 7 year old tv that works fine. Next week I will have a HDTV that might have a rainbow effect, screendoor effect, red tints in the corner, etc. and be out $2-3K. Also, I'll have to run an OTA to pick up local stations. Additionally, I'll get a dish receiver that will probably have a failure with the HDMI connection within a couple of weeks. Is DISH and HD that good to deal with all that??

As far as I know, you are limited to 4 tuners in a combination of devices, with what you have stated, you are at 6 tuners unless there are still single tuner DVR's which I don't think they carry any more.

So, you could get a 622 and (2) 211's or a 622 and a 625 SD DVR

Location has alot to do with how well the Dish 1000 will do, I am in Central US and get 85 off of 129 and 90's off of 110 and 119. I also have another dish pointed at 61.5 and get 124 percent.

I have a (4) 211, a 622 and a 625, two of the 211's are running off HDMI and there are no problems, one is a sharp Aquos TV, one a JVC. I had to purchase the 625 and (2) 211's and did so at Dishstore.net. If you are going HD, then go with the 622, you will miss out if you don't, the ability to record 3 things at once is great. You can go with a 622 and (2) 211's and then buy the last SD DVR, actually, I am going to change my 625 which I own for a 622, as there is alot of good stuff on HD, the sell my 625.

Make sure the do not mount the dish on Vinyl siding, it will screw things up and never be sturdy.

As far as TV's, what are you wanting it for, wall mount, big screen for rec room, bedroom ?

Below are the order specs I received via email after ordering the service on the phone. I didn't really understand it, so I called to verify that I will receive HD receivers for 2 tvs and SD receivers with DVR for 2 standard tvs. So, based on the specs, it looks like there is one receiver for the 2 standard tvs in separate rooms?? How does that work? It's kind of frustrating to talk to them because both times I have spoken with individuals with very strong accents....so , I'm constantly asking them to repeat what they said.

Selected Programming: DHA DishHD Gold w/ Locals
DISH HOME PROTECTION PLAN (AT NO CHARGE WITH DIGITAL HOME ADVANTAGE COMMITMENT)
FOX SPORTS SOUTHWEST
STARZ! SUPER PAK

Equipment: 211/411 Receiver Leased
211/411 System Leased
DISH PLAYER DVR 625, DUAL TUNER RECEIVER

The HDTV to be purchased will be the main house tv in the living room. I am leaning towards the rp 3lcd (sony) or the new samsung dlp. I have a HDTV lcd monitor in the office that will be used with the 2nd HD receiver.

Thanks for the insight!

From the reviews, I would go Sony. Looks like the 4 tuner applys, each 211 will feed one HDTV, the 625 will feed two TV's. They will have to have a feed/cable to go from the 625 to the other TV in another room for that to work, can they do that in your house ? You get two remotes, one IR for close range, the other a UHF that works through walls.

If you go with the 622, you can also feed 2 TV's, one will be SD unless you run a long component or HDMI cable to the other, then you would have to watch same things as other TV, but you get the OTA tuner in the 622, if you are within range, some of the best quality HD is OTA from CBS, PBS, ABC, etc. You will be missing out on that.

I would go with a 622 and (2) 211's in the lease, they will supply a SD TV if it has S-Video, then get a SD DVR on the side new from Dishstore or even new/used accross E-Bay, you can get one for $100 or so if you watch, just make sure if you go ebay to buy from a seller with lots of good feedback and request the R# on the receiver prior to purchase so you can call dish and verify it not got a balance or is not a leased job. I have the Everything pack, they wave the DVR fees that way, with 2 211's leased, 1 622 leased, 2 211 purchased and a 625 purchased (6) receivers my bill is about $130 a month.

Last edited:
Great information! They will only be able to go between two of the tvs in the house, and I don't necessarily want them walking on rafters in the attic to do that. I have all the cables to the rooms available at the junction on the side of the house, and that's the only place I want them touching cables (with the exception of the satellite to the junction). I guess my mindset is cable or direct tv...1 receiver per set. Plug it in & forget it. Sounds like dish is a whole new world. I guess the 622 is the way to go, so I'll talk to them again before the install.

I really wish they had someone that I could understand that looked at an installation from a user perspective and explained all the little details.

Didn't see the OTA turner info in the specs of 622, so thanks. On a similar note, I asked if they can provide an ota with the dish or if I bought one would they install it, and she said no to both. Any suggestions there?

As referenced in my original note, it seems like there are a significant number of problems with Dish. I've had 0 with cable & before I moved I had direct tv and called them once over a 2 yr period. I'm glad I'm soaking up information here. Another change I will make is to remove the 18 month commitment. I don't want to spend any time screwing with connections, box resets, tech calls, etc. to make the service work, so if that starts to happen, I'll walk away.

Again, I appreciate the information.

I suggest going with a 622/625 setup (it looks like you are only going to have ONE HDTV, so the 211 is not needed).

But even more - find a LOCAL GUY and cancel your scheduled DNSC hack job. Trust me, you have two chances of finding a DNSC installer that can find his cable tool with both hands - slim and none.

As I just posted in another thread ([thread=69359]New Dish install[/thread]), there's a LOT that can be done installation-wise - you can actually make your own mini-cable system. Four channels, all with DVR. :)

Finally, HDMI can be a problem on the 211, too, so don't let that be a factor in your decision. HDMI is infant technology, especially as far as E* is concerned. I'm quite happy with the component (NOT composite) HD outputs on my 622 (and my 921 was just fine, too).

I 2nd the local installer option, if you have issues, it's alot better to go through them. As far as problems with Dish, besides their crappy customer service provided by overseas non english speaking people, their Tech support area, english speaking americans is usually pretty good. I usually go that route for a much as possible, but have not had any issues since my install months ago as a new customer again.

Depending on your distance from from local OTA's, I have the zenith silver sensor in the attic, about $20, but hard to find anymore. I get ABC/CBS/NBC and PBS, all stations are about 40 miles away, I do live on a hill though.

SimpleSimon said:
I

But even more - find a LOCAL GUY and cancel your scheduled DNSC hack job. Trust me, you have two chances of finding a DNSC installer that can find his cable tool with both hands - slim and none.

Thanks for the info on the install & the other thread reference. Okay, I'm going to start looking for a local installer, but where to start? Yellow pages? Is there a web site with local installers?

This is starting to make sense.

Dollar4adonut said:
Thanks for the info on the install & the other thread reference. Okay, I'm going to start looking for a local installer, but where to start? Yellow pages? Is there a web site with local installers?

This is starting to make sense.
There's plenty of resources for that.

Shame you haven't bothered to add your location to your profile. I could probably find someone. Try http://www.dumpcable.com/ - it's run by one of the folks on DishRetailer, but coverage can be spotty.

sprintcarcrazy said:
I 2nd the local installer option, if you have issues, it's alot better to go through them. As far as problems with Dish, besides their crappy customer service provided by overseas non english speaking people, their Tech support area, english speaking americans is usually pretty good. I usually go that route for a much as possible, but have not had any issues since my install months ago as a new customer again.

Depending on your distance from from local OTA's, I have the zenith silver sensor in the attic, about $20, but hard to find anymore. I get ABC/CBS/NBC and PBS, all stations are about 40 miles away, I do live on a hill though.

I wasn't aware of any off shore call centers for Dish. I've called several times over 9 years and talked to folks in Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania and Virginia. All of the folks have been friendly and helpful. Not including Texas, I've still not spoken to any feriners.:D

SimpleSimon said:
There's plenty of resources for that.

Shame you haven't bothered to add your location to your profile. I could probably find someone. Try http://www.dumpcable.com/ - it's run by one of the folks on DishRetailer, but coverage can be spotty.

Thanks for the link. I'm in Austin,TX, if you have suggestions.

Again, I appreciate all of the information!!

toto said:
I wasn't aware of any off shore call centers for Dish. I've called several times over 9 years and talked to folks in Colorado, Texas, Pennsylvania and Virginia. All of the folks have been friendly and helpful. Not including Texas, I've still not spoken to any feriners.:D

Seem like I get "Americans" when I call for technical support, friendly and helpful, but "Indians" when I make a programming change, friendly but not very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts