New To Dish Network

FD611V

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
First post here, and looks like the place to get the proper solutions.

Here goes.

I have for the past 29 years been a BUD satellite man. That would be the "Big Ugly Dish" in the back yard.... BTW. it still works as I write this. The real true digital siginals... a 4DTV receiver. I have no complaints with the 4DTV. It's the rising cost of programming that is the reason I'm moving to Dish Network.

My son has Dish Network, and recently moved up to HD programming. He owned is own antenna and two receivers. The new D/N system gives him a new 1000.2 antenna, and a Dish DVR receiver. He kept one of the older 301 receivers.

He gave me the Dish 500 which has a DP twin LNBF (I think it is a twin, because he had one coax going to each 301 in two rooms), and the other JVC 301 receiver. I have installed the antenna, and setup the 301 in my den. I get a a great signal quality of 75, and can get several channels that are not in subscription by D/N.

I bought from a dealer in my area, a ViP 211k receiver, and about ready to install it.

Here's my plan.. I have two coax cables coming from the antenna LNBF(s) into the home. One coax runs into the attic and down to the family room, where the ViP 211 will be located. The other coax has already been hooked up to the JVC 301 in the den, and works.

Question:
Is this all I have to do...attach the RG-6 coax to the back (IN) on the ViP 211, and from what I have read here in some posts, is run a software download, and make a switch check..etc. And call Dish Network to have my account setup and receivers activated.

BTW: I don't have a HDTV...yet... mabye soon.

:welcome to Satelliteguys.

Yes hook up the coax to the 211 and then run a check switch. If it don't auto ask to do a download, then turn the box off and it will take one if needed. Then call up activate.

Later of course you will need another dish to get all the HD channels.
Also note that they will charge you a 6.00 a month fee for not have hd programing on the 211.

Also note that they will charge you a 6.00 a month fee for not have hd programing on the 211.

Now that is a way to take money from one's pocket... charge a fee for something to don't get... That is one of the reason I'm leaving 4DTV satellite viewing.

Yes hook up the coax to the 211 and then run a check switch. If it don't auto ask to do a download, then turn the box off and it will take one if needed. Then call up activate.

Later of course you will need another dish to get all the HD channels.

The fee has been $7 for some time now.

Now that is a way to take money from one's pocket... charge a fee for something to don't get... That is one of the reason I'm leaving 4DTV satellite viewing.

What the fee covers it to have OTA and premium HD channels activated if you don't have any HD programing packages. The lowest HD tier is only $10, I think Dish wants customers to order at least some HD in order to use the HD receiver.

What the fee covers it to have OTA and premium HD channels activated if you don't have any HD programing packages. The lowest HD tier is only $10, I think Dish wants customers to order at least some HD in order to use the HD receiver.

Not being familiar with Dish and their price quirks on programming. Can I get HD programming on the Dish 500 from 110, and 119 satellites? Would my locals that show they broadcast in HD be available on the 211 receiver without any HD fees?

You ask where I'm located. Just 120' from No.1 tee on a country club golf course some 105 miles east of Tulsa, Ok. Or more accurate ...Bella Vista, Ar.

So, you think I'm likely to encounter some problems here. Seems I remember those happening the day I got married.

depending on which, it may be just the start of your problems :)

From reading various posts here about HD programming, and what satellites that one must have to get HD. It would appear I need to make a change in the antenna. So, why don't I buy a Dish 500 from ebay with the hardware, and install it right next to the one I have now with a single LNB, and point it to one you mentioned. From reading other threads, it looks like I would need to change my DNpro twin out for a DN Plus twin LNBF. Which wouldn't be too hard to do since I setup the Dish 500 without any dealer/installer help.

That will work just fine and probably yield better results than using the 1000,2 dish. IF Bella Vista is in the Tulsa Dma then you will not be able to get the HD locals from the Sat as only Tulsa sd locals are available until the 129 replacement satellite is launched. You will have to use an antenna to get Tulsa digital locals.

That will work just fine and probably yield better results than using the 1000,2 dish. IF Bella Vista is in the Tulsa Dma then you will not be able to get the HD locals from the Sat as only Tulsa sd locals are available until the 129 replacement satellite is launched. You will have to use an antenna to get Tulsa digital locals.

I have been getting the Tulsa channels for 20 or more years by a 30' pole with a Windgard Titan (the best) roof antenna. I can also get the TV stations in Joplin, Mo, and Fort Smith, Ar from the roof antenna. However, my problem comes Feb 17, 2008. I have two DTV converters boxes ready to install should the Dish 500 system not go well. But there is a "big" question mark regarding the digital signals for all the locals, due to the fact I live over 100 miles from Tulsa, and over 60 miles from the Joplin and Fort Smith stations towers. Majority of home owners here in the area are having a very difficult time getting these DTV converters to pick up the digital signals. Too many hills... no direct line sight to towers.

Well starting in Aug the Tulsa stations will be cutting power to the analog transmitters to about 80-85 percent as they migrate their digital transmitters to the top of the broadcast towers. So your reception may be in limbo for a few months.

Had a BUD with 4DTV/HDD200. Was happy with it but for reasons you already know - gave it up. PQ is not as good on E* but not having to wait while moving SAT to SAT is not missed. Sound quality is better. Connections to HD equipment better. DVR is great. All and all I feel better off.
btw: Welcome to DISH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts