New to Dish - Questions about 522

GoHogsAR

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
I am having Dish installed next week and would like to know if the 522 is the right receiver for my needs.

This receiver will be shared between the living room and bedroom. 90% of the time the bedroom television will not even be in use. For that 90% of the time, I want to be able to a) record two shows at the same time while watching a recorded show or b) watch one live show while recording another show. From what I've read, this can be accomplished.

The questions I have relate to how the unit acts when the second television is in use. Sometimes I want to watch exactly what is playing in the living room (even if two things are recording) and sometimes I want to watch something different. Sometimes I may want to record one show, watch one live show in the living room, and watch another live show in the bedroom. Can all this be done?

It seems that the ideal setup for me would be a 721 in the living room. One output would be connected to the living room TV and the other output would run to the bedroom. In the bedroom, I would have a separate receiver for the times I want to watch something different, and a simple A/B switch for the times I want to watch what is playing in the living room. I guess what I want to know is if the 522 will accomplish all that a 721 + an additional receiver will.

Is the 721 even available for new subs? I don't see it as a choice when I go through the steps of signing up online but I haven't yet called my dealer to see if it's available through them.

Sorry for the rambling...thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm not quite sure I really understand the question, but the 522 can do a lot. Part of the post indicates you want to be able to have THREE separate shows being 'received' at the same time. It doesn't matter whether it's live or being recorded. The 522 has "only" two tuners, not three.

In the current state of the software, you can make the TV1 tuner record something and do something else with the TV2 tuner - but TV2 can not to the best of my knowledge 'watch' the TV1 tuner - or the other way around.

However, I think the 522 will be able to do almost all of what you'll realistically need.

Can the same recorded program be viewed on both TV's at the same time?

Also, how does TV2 connect to the reciever? The picture I saw looks like it has a "Home Distribution" connection?

GoHogsAR said:
Can the same recorded program be viewed on both TV's at the same time?
Yes, I believe so, and can't think of any reason why not.
GoHogsAR said:
Also, how does TV2 connect to the reciever? The picture I saw looks like it has a "Home Distribution" connection?
It's got both composite (RCA) output and UHF (coax). "Home Distribution" is just some muddle-headed marketing term.

Yes it's possible.

GoHogsAR said:
I want to be able to a) record two shows at the same time while watching a recorded show or
Yes, I believe this can be done. You can simultaneously do the following:
1. Tuner 1 can record one show.
2. Tuner 2 can record another show.
3. TV 1 can watch a RECORDED show while Tuner 1 is recording a different show. But you can't watch a live show while Tuner 1 is recording.
4. TV 2 can watch a RECORDED show while Tuner 2 is recording a different show. But you can't watch a live show while Tuner 2 is recording.

GoHogsAR said:
b) watch one live show while recording another show.
Yes this is possible. You can watch a live show on Tuner 1, while Tuner 2 is recording another show.

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, I believe so, and can't think of any reason why not.
The possible reason why not is that it's like the same part of the hard disk is being read by two different readers.

But anyway, you're correct, I've tried this and both TVs can watch the same recorded show.

micty said:
The possible reason why not is that it's like the same part of the hard disk is being read by two different readers.
It can definitely do it. In fact, you can record (2) live shows at once while watching (2) pre-recorded shows. It's dog-a** slow though !!!! :D How do I know ?? I've done it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts