New to DISH - When to call for service or when it is expected

Jaeldawn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Tennessee
I apologize if these questions have already been asked multiple times. I have been having intermittent service, so I have not been able to search for more than a few minutes until I lose connection. I just desided to jump in here while I still had service and ask the question before I lose service again.

I just had DISH installed last week, and this is my first experience with satellite TV. I also had the local rep set up Wild Blue Satellite internet as well. Being that I live in the country my only option is satellite. I am very familiar with cable and the issues that come with it, and how to troubleshoot on my end, and I have learned what to expect with service and what not to. I just want to get some information on the issues that I have noticed and find out if this is normal for satellite, or if I need to call service.
#1 Connectivity during bad weather – I know this is the main problem with satellite, but what is considered bad weather? For example, today it has been raining off and on all morning. It isn’t a hard rain at all, just a little harder than a drizzle. Every time it starts I lose service. I reset the modem and it comes back for a few minutes, but then I lose it again. Is this considered “bad weather”? I seriously was expecting to lose service in high winds, dark clouds, hail and hard snow, but not light rain. I mean seriously, on rainy days I like to watch movies and play video games. Are those days over?

#2 Blockbuster at home – Movies freeze in the same spot every time. It is as though I am watching a DVD with a big scratch in specific places. However, I am streaming from the Hopper and not using a DVD. Is this normal? I have seen a few posts about it, but have not seen one that can explain this.

I apologize if these questions have already been asked multiple times. I have been having intermittent service, so I have not been able to search for more than a few minutes until I lose connection. I just desided to jump in here while I still had service and ask the question before I lose service again.

I just had DISH installed last week, and this is my first experience with satellite TV. I also had the local rep set up Wild Blue Satellite internet as well. Being that I live in the country my only option is satellite. I am very familiar with cable and the issues that come with it, and how to troubleshoot on my end, and I have learned what to expect with service and what not to. I just want to get some information on the issues that I have noticed and find out if this is normal for satellite, or if I need to call service.
#1 Connectivity during bad weather – I know this is the main problem with satellite, but what is considered bad weather? For example, today it has been raining off and on all morning. It isn’t a hard rain at all, just a little harder than a drizzle. Every time it starts I lose service. I reset the modem and it comes back for a few minutes, but then I lose it again. Is this considered “bad weather”? I seriously was expecting to lose service in high winds, dark clouds, hail and hard snow, but not light rain. I mean seriously, on rainy days I like to watch movies and play video games. Are those days over?

#2 Blockbuster at home – Movies freeze in the same spot every time. It is as though I am watching a DVD with a big scratch in specific places. However, I am streaming from the Hopper and not using a DVD. Is this normal? I have seen a few posts about it, but have not seen one that can explain this.
First are these problems with DISH Network or Wild Blue, I am guessing they are Wild Blue. If so this is the wrong forum for the questions.

I can't comment as to your Wild Blue service but you should NOT be losing your TV in anything but a heavy downpour or a very heavy wet snow. Call 'em!

Ed

First are these problems with DISH Network or Wild Blue, I am guessing they are Wild Blue. If so this is the wrong forum for the questions.

I am losing service with both, and the Blockbuster at home question I wasn't sure if it was related to my hopper or Blockbuster. Since I ordered everything though DISH, I am not sure where the issues originate. Just looking for a little help.

You will still be under warranty. I would call asap & get these problems corrected.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Streaming video depends on dsl being connected, it is not like on demand as it needs a little time to download. If you are having problems with your internet, chances are it is the same problem and the stream is playing to the point that the download was completed to. Definitely, get the problems fixed now as it seems your dishes are slightly misaligned.

I agree with garys. If you are having intermittent internet that could be why your streaming movie is not working properly. Best thing is to contact dish to get someone back out.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Jaeldawn said:
Thanks! I called them and they are coming back out to check the signal.

Good to hear and welcome to satellite guys. Stick around, lots of good info and great talk.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)