New to forum, new to PV,Rs and jumping as a new with a 522

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrnoonan

Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Next Tuesday I should have a new 522 in operation and I have some questions:
a - I assume that recorded shows become tuner independent. That is, from any TV I'll be able to select from a single list of recorded shows. True?
b - The major reason I selected the 522, is that I can record two shows at the same time. Can I set up the record schedule from one remote (remote equals one tuner I understand) and then let the software select the tuners to do the recordings (assumes I'm not watching anything; TV off or watching a prerecorded show) or, do I have to set up a recording schedule for each tuner myself (boo)?
c - If I want to use the PIP feature on my TV, does that put me in the "single user mode" camp? I think it does.
d - I currently have a 301; per the spec sheet for the 522, tuner one outputs appears to be identical to the 301. I have a slave TV in the kitchen (a cool undercounter dropdown Audiovox LCD) that is connected via a splitter inbetween the RF out/TV connection of the 301. I tried the 301 S-video/TV connection and the 301 RF/slave TV simultaneously but couldn't get a picture on the slave. Seems only one output is possible at a time (at least as I recall after fiddling with this two years ago). Anything in the 522 that would let me do PIP AND go to the slave TV from tuner 1 (don't want to pay for another 301 box or have room for one in the kitchen space)?
e - What is "agile modulation"? I did a search but couldn't find a definition about how is works. What do I have to do on the receiving TV end to use it?
f - The Digital Remote Control user guide provides a way to change the AUX setting. Could this be set so that the Control be used to address both tuners? I.e., remote 1 AUX w/b set to tuner 2 and remote 2 AUX w/b set to tuner 2. What would be the codes for setting the opposite tuner on each remote's AUX button?
g - I have an RF to UHF upgrade kit. I could use it for tuner 1 if the UHF signal is different from the UHF Pro antenna signal. Is it? If not, I have an IR extended cable that can be taped to the IR "eye" for tuner 1 on the box. Would that work?
h - The Digital Remote Control user guide provides a way to change the Remote Address (found on the Installation and Setup screen). Could this be used to eliminate any UHF conflict between the Upgrade kit and the UHF Pro remote controllers?

That's enough for now. Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
Regards, Mike

Re: New to forum, new to PV,Rs and jumping as a new with a 5

mrnoonan said:
Next Tuesday I should have a new 522 in operation and I have some questions:
a - I assume that recorded shows become tuner independent. That is, from any TV I'll be able to select from a single list of recorded shows. True?
Not sure yet... Scott (forum owner) has played with one, so maybe he knows the answer. We've been led to believe it works like that.
b - The major reason I selected the 522, is that I can record two shows at the same time. Can I set up the record schedule from one remote (remote equals one tuner I understand) and then let the software select the tuners to do the recordings (assumes I'm not watching anything; TV off or watching a prerecorded show) or, do I have to set up a recording schedule for each tuner myself (boo)?
I don't think this will be answerable until they get the software out that supports "single mode".
c - If I want to use the PIP feature on my TV, does that put me in the "single user mode" camp? I think it does.
Very likely.
e - What is "agile modulation"? I did a search but couldn't find a definition about how is works. What do I have to do on the receiving TV end to use it?
It just means that instead of the normal VHF "channel 3 or 4" output you have a range of UHF channels settable in your setup menu for the 2nd TV.

The reason why the 322 and 522 were delayed was due to the fact that someone using tuner 2 in another room could access all the DVR Events that were locked on tuner 1 but they did not allow it to lock on tuner 2 as well. Seeing that they wanted to fix this first before releasing it it seems as if you could access the DVR Events (a single list of events) on either tuner (as it is shared being accessed from either tuner).

When single mode comes with new software in the future the receiver itself would select the tuner that would record the show in which is determined at the time the show starts. The reason is if you are watching something on tuner 1 it will go to tuner 2 to record so that your show that you are currently watching on tuner 1 does not get interrupted. Since tuner 2 can now be independently viewed on the second output to a second tv from the receiver this may change to where if the second tuner is being used independently it will record on tuner 1 if it is in dual user mode but not if it is in single user mode because the second tuner would be used for PIP mode.

The 721 starts recording on the second tuner if the first one is being viewed and it only has a single user mode because it has only one tv out. What the 721 can currently do is exactly what the 522 currently cannot do, have PIP being in single user mode.

I can get the S-Video or the RCA yellow AUX output wire to work with the red and white audio wires to work at the same time as an RF-out wire going to the same or different television but not the S-Video and RCA yellow AUX output to two different tv's/inputs to bring two pictures at the same time. My 721 has two sets of RCA AUX outputs (two yellow, two red, two whites) that allows you to connect two tv's up this way or have one set for a stereo system. This would allow you to have two tv outputs using RCA AUX outputs plus another for your RF output. On any receiver that may either have one or two sets of RCA AUX outputs you could use a splitter for each plus splitters on the RF output to get additional tv's hooked up to the same receiver.

The UHF pyramid upgrade kit uses a different frequency than what the DishPro UHF on the second tuner of the 322 and 522 use therefore the UHF portion of the signal coming from the remote will not interfere with each other even if it is on the same remote address in which is preset from the factory as 1. The IR frequencies on both tuner 1 and 2 are the same as the previous receivers have been so you will get interference if you are controlling two receivers/tuners in the same room.

That brings me to an interesting question. Since both tuners accept IR then wouldnt there be interference when you are changing channels in the receiver you are in or does the second remote for the second tuner come set from the factory at a different remote address?

A remote cannot be programmed to operate two receivers at the same time, not even through the AUX function button on the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)