New to FTA, What receiver for a begginer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shicks4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Kansas
Hi, ive been studying these forums for a few months studying about FTA and have finally decided to jump into the hobby for fun. I have decided on a 90cm WS International ws9036 a WS International 512 KU band .2db LNBF and a Powermax HD sg9120 motor. The question for me is what is a decent affordable receiver for a beginner. Do i need one that receives HD? Ive been reading alot of the posts reviewing several receivers but its hard for someone thats new to decide what might be best. Any input would be great. thanks.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Shicks4 !!!

Be aware that WS International (WSI) has been defunct now for going on 3 years. Also that dish is a flimsy dish. A better choice would be a GEOSATpro 90cm dish. Also I had bad luck with the LNBF you mention a few years ago, plus the .2dB is a lie.
For $99 on ebay you can have a GEOSATpro 90cm and decent LNBF combo shipped.

As far as a receiver the Amiko Mini HD SE and the GEOSATpro microHD or both desent budget receivers, that work great, have DVB-S2, and have support right here in North America.

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
Thanks for the info on the items i selected, what about a motor, is the one im looking at ok or should i find something different?

Thanks for the info on the items i selected, what about a motor, is the one im looking at ok or should i find something different?
STAB would also be my choice.

Thanks for all the information guys. Ill start ordering equipment soon. IM doing this as a fall hobby with my father in law and son. For me its just kinda a fun project, but if my father in law like it he will want a setup too as all he gets is locals OTA, hence why i asked for a beginners type receiver. Later i hope to jump into some c-band stuff as i have 3 dishes i have removed for people while landscaping for them.

Most if not all the newer receivers will do HD.
The Linkbox 8000HD I believe they now have come out with the Linkbox 9000 and have heard many say it is a good receiver. I myself have been using the Linkbox 8000HD with an OTA tuner in it so I enjoy the best of both in 1 receiver.
Not the cheapest receiver, but you get what you pay for.

Hey guys I am planning to restart this hobby, any suggestions on a receiver? I had pansat and sonicview a few years back but they stopped working.

Direct tv slimline not sure on the with of it but here is pic

11921684_10156028026210430_3766716001302197458_n.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts