New to FTA

CN: would those NPRM be suitable for a ground-mounted 1.2 metre motorized dish? What would be minimum mast height necessary for such a dish? Where can I buy NPRM?

The pole on the two NPRM I have is slightly undersized for a 1.2m, although I'm making it work. Titanium may be able to tell you which specific model you need.

I would put an NPRM on a level flat surface like concrete and then use shims to make it level (if needed).

I bought both of my NPRM from Amazon. ~$70 IIRC.

I used extra long bolts to make a GeoSat Pro 1.2m work on this particular NPRM.

9527DA4B-5867-42B0-8043-E2BDD0559966.jpeg

Reactions: cyberham
The diameter, height and placement (centered or edge) of the pole, depends how the NPRM will be used. If mounting a motor, is it a top or bottom load? The pole will need to be taller if the motor post points downward.

The pole size either needs to fit the dish post clamp if fixed, or the motor post clamp if motorized. Example: a GSP90 dish uses a 1 5/8in post, but if this dish is motorized and mounted on a Stab 90, one would use a 2 3/8 in post.

A centered NPRM pole might work great for a fixed dish, but could contact the dish if motorized.

If a pole needs to be taller, I have had a muffler shop make an extension pipe that slips over the NPRM pole or use a larger or smaller diameter pipe to sleeve or insert then and through-bolt 3 right angle machine screws.

I had to temporarily move my Birdview dish because we're having a concrete patio made in our backyard (and the Birdview was in the way).

I made an above ground base for it and have learned (the hard way) that what I did is an example of what not to do.

I bought a 4x4' piece of 3/4" plywood and bolted the Birdview to it. Then I placed about 300 pounds of concrete blocks along the edges.

While the dish hasn't fallen down yet, the plywood flexes too much and the dish can sway from side to side. :eek Plywood is no substitute for rigid metal. Hopefully they will finish the patio soon and I can mount the dish on concrete again -- before it gets windy here!

Good tips from Titanium. I will bookmark this thread for future reference. NPRM sound good if used in the right application. I am holding off for now. With winter coming, the snow will get in the way of an unprotected NPRM installation. N6BY: I've used wooden pallets with success. They are rigid, often free and easy to bolt a J-mount to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts