New to me antenna question and identification help

bisonfan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 22, 2013
MN
So I picked up a new to me antenna a few weeks ago and have been using it since then. I am considering a new mounting location as I have been having reception issues. During dismounting and testing I realized that maybe the balun was in the wrong spot but am not sure.

DSCN1800.JPG DSCN1799.JPG

The issues I have been having are as follows: Antenna picks up great signal strength under RF channel 40. Anything above it (depending on balun connection) it is squirrely on. By this mean inconsistent stream and signal strength from the same toweras the channels under 40.

With the balun on the top of the dipole I gets strong rf channel 40-50 reception but the quality is so noisy that is hard for my tv tuners and HDHR to lock on.

DSCN1798.JPG

With the balun in the middle of the dipole, it locks on but to the channels but has low signal per my HDHR. 45-50% middle vs 75-80% top of dipole.
DSCN1797.JPG

My tvfool report is
hxxp://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46ae555907aa1d

Just not sure what is the correct spot for the balun. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Connect it at the bowtie that is the true antenna the rest is reflectors. That doesn't look like an antenncraft HDX 1000 that was shown in the thread Iceberg referenced. What are you using now it looks like a UHF only. How about a photo of your complete system.

Last edited:
I will put up pictures shortly as I just moved the antenna to a different location. I did move the balun to the original connectors and not the "middle". To give you an example of what strength I am getting. The new setup is roughly 90 feet from my house. Once in the house, I am splitting 4 ways. At my tv on my longest run I am running about 70-90% signal strength depending on channel. Iceberg would be happy to know that I am getting some consistency today out of 9-1 which has been giving me fits since day one. 29-1 comes in occassionally. The most confusing part, I get 90% signal strength at the tv on channel 29-1 but nothing shows up as the symbol quality per my HDHR is 0% (needs to be 100% for good, non-pixelating picture).

That doesn't look like an antenncraft HDX 1000 that was shown in the thread Iceberg referenced. What are you using now it looks like a UHF only.
correct. I have been conversing via PM with the OP and he switched antennas....but the reason of the link was to see what has already been done ;)

I guess at this point I am wondering if anyone knows brand/model of the antenna. My new location seems to be providing more reliable service than my prior location on my roof. I did drop two channels today but intermittently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)