New-to-me Hopper observations

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
Brand new to Hopper. Some findings:

Sharper picture than 722--wife even commented on that.

I have problems setting up recordings of shows to get ONLY the HD version.
If it exists in the guide then it is easy because that picks the channel.
If not in guide then Seek does not have options for channel nor HD/SD nor other things
like exact match, e.g., The Big C vs The Big Chill. Cannot edit Seek for titles, HD/SD, new/all.
Having the SD versions canceled out makes an unnecessary mess of the to-be-recorded list.
It will sometimes set to record both versions on the "same" channel, at the same bat-time.
Many get removed by priority. I'm probably missing something here.

Found that once set there may be an edit button on second time where you can pick channel and thus HD/SD.--not much help for multichannel seek. Select it in timer list and press search then seek&record. Go back and delete original. You can search in uppercase and if found it will end up mixed-case.
** Need to be able to modify, not to be forced to rewrite, the whole timer.

When started up it said something about new feature with the green key in setting recordings.
Didn't write that down so the memory fails. Did someone get it?
---
How do I change the Room Name set by installer--there was a small list for him?
Trick buttons or reboot with something pressed?

Menu > Help just went to a blank screen with some noise in bottom lines.
Same for Menu > Apps except for the label Apps. Cancel does not go back. View works.

In setting seek's program names you can use A=2 B=2+2… .
Delete one char is up+Del+press. Space in left+press or 0+0. More keying than 722.
Bug: sometimes the keyboard sets both Del and Clear and it ends up Clearing when clicking Del.

Aha, DVR 2 times to PTAT, 3X goes to Schedule. 4X for Timers. 5X to Rentals, 6X to Deleted and back. Relocate search button fooled me for a time.

Remember to use edge wraparound on many menus--left edge to right and v.v. Should going right from right edge advance the row?

Still need sort by episode number or better by original air date. It has sort by episode, I see.

** Tried 3 EHDs, 1/port, on the Hopper. They all show up in the transfer menu but the source selector shows only two besides the internal drive. In the order added? Some have said reboot from USB pull--did this all the time on 722, true?

** Missing a size in MB to check which is smaller--have the size on most recordings until now. Even if it only showed in EHD menu on 722.

Closed captions sometimes writes over previous line.

-Ken

Brand new to Hopper. Some findings:

Sharper picture than 722--wife even commented on that.

I have problems setting up recordings of shows to get ONLY the HD version.
If it exists in the guide then it is easy because that picks the channel.
If not in guide then Seek does not have options for channel nor HD/SD nor other things
like exact match, e.g., The Big C vs The Big Chill. Cannot edit Seek for titles, HD/SD, new/all.
Having the SD versions canceled out makes an unnecessary mess of the to-be-recorded list.
It will sometimes set to record both versions on the "same" channel, at the same bat-time.
Many get removed by priority. I'm probably missing something here.

Found that once set there may be an edit button on second time where you can pick channel and thus HD/SD.--not much help for multichannel seek. Select it in timer list and press search then seek&record. Go back and delete original. You can search in uppercase and if found it will end up mixed-case.
** Need to be able to modify, not to be forced to rewrite, the whole timer.

When started up it said something about new feature with the green key in setting recordings.
Didn't write that down so the memory fails. Did someone get it?
---
How do I change the Room Name set by installer--there was a small list for him?
Trick buttons or reboot with something pressed?

Menu > Help just went to a blank screen with some noise in bottom lines.
Same for Menu > Apps except for the label Apps. Cancel does not go back. View works.

In setting seek's program names you can use A=2 B=2+2? .
Delete one char is up+Del+press. Space in left+press or 0+0. More keying than 722.
Bug: sometimes the keyboard sets both Del and Clear and it ends up Clearing when clicking Del.

Aha, DVR 2 times to PTAT, 3X goes to Schedule. 4X for Timers. 5X to Rentals, 6X to Deleted and back. Relocate search button fooled me for a time.

Remember to use edge wraparound on many menus--left edge to right and v.v. Should going right from right edge advance the row?

Still need sort by episode number or better by original air date. It has sort by episode, I see.

** Tried 3 EHDs, 1/port, on the Hopper. They all show up in the transfer menu but the source selector shows only two besides the internal drive. In the order added? Some have said reboot from USB pull--did this all the time on 722, true?

** Missing a size in MB to check which is smaller--have the size on most recordings until now. Even if it only showed in EHD menu on 722.

Closed captions sometimes writes over previous line.

-Ken

The green key message was probably referring to manual timers. Press DVR 4X then green key for manual timers.

Naming... Press menu, settings, network setup, whole home, location name

The Hopper only support two ehds at once.

Agree on the character delete and the space button being weird compared to 722.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Can someone post screenshots of the Seek and Record setup/options screens? If it is true that some of the options are missing compared to Dish Pass, then that would be a deal breaker for me to ever upgrade to the Hopper. I use Dish Pass almost exclusively.

All the options are there, mostly. I found that for a program not in the guide, you have to create the timer and go back and then edit that. For example, to set channel or HD/SD required 2 passes but if in guide you would have picked the right channel and resolution at the start.
-Ken

Can someone post screenshots of the Seek and Record setup/options screens? If it is true that some of the options are missing compared to Dish Pass, then that would be a deal breaker for me to ever upgrade to the Hopper. I use Dish Pass almost exclusively.

These are from the HWS but I verified they are the same minus the prepare for mobile option. Sorry they are sideways.

ForumRunner_20130204_235136.png

ForumRunner_20130204_235147.png

Yes you can set HD Preference or HD Only or SD Only using Seek & Record. Further, you can make it channel specific. The problem is that option is way on the left side under the ALL Channels label is a button that states "EDIT" and that is where you can enter a particular channel. If you are coming from a ViP, you may not see it because the layout is so new to your brain.

If you want to make a SEEK & RECORD timer from the guide, you can highlight the show in the guide, and then press SEARCH. This takes you to results page with the Seek and Record option. Select the tile, and then select Seek and Record and the next screen appears where you can set your resolution or channel preference.

The layout and UI is so new that some people (ok, myself included) don't see the option and think it is not offered on the Hopper. I have to say that it took me MONTHS before I realized that I can enter a specific channel for my Seek and Record as somehow my brain saw the All Channels/Edit button that I had ignored thinking it was some info or decoration or I was expecting the option to be LISTED with the other options. Not quite intuitive as one would believe because all the other options are located on the right side drop down lists, and not way over on the left side. Not all our fault.

My first post is displaying blank pictures or that's what I see so I'm trying this again.

If someone can't see the huge edit option taking up the left side of the screen, they may need to have their eyes checked. ;-) All channels is listed twice with an edit button and the font size on the upper all channels is pretty huge and the edit button isn't hidden in clutter. I have to respectfully agree to disagree about the button being hard to notice.

ForumRunner_20130205_005345.png

ForumRunner_20130205_005328.png

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. That is very helpful. What about the options for searching title vs. info, partial match vs. exact match, etc?

filestream.ashx

See at the top where it says "Search In: Titles" ? That's it. There's a red button to the left out of the view of the pics. Press the red button on the remote and it gives those options.

See at the top where it says "Search In: Titles" ? That's it. There's a red button to the left out of the view of the pics. Press the red button on the remote and it gives those options.
Thanks, totally missed that. How about doing an exact match search vs. a partial title match?

I find that the Edit button is not there if you have only done Seek&Record.
(1) After it is in the red-button timers list, you can alter several features by just clicking and suing edit timer.
(2) Redoing the Seek lets you create a new timer with the edit of channel and other options. Delete original and lose it priority.
Why not on the first pass, IDK.
I missed the exact Title match under the Title button. How would you use exact Info?

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts