Will Hopper allow you to allocate storage per user/joey??????

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I currently have a VIP 722 and a new wife who likes to record things that she doesn't watch.

Eventually, I think she's going to fill up the hard drive.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to the Hopper with sling (when that comes out) but would like to find out if it allows some form of user storage control. A feature where I can allocate her half the storage and when that's used up, she'll either have to stop recording or clear off unwatch shows. I've already setup the 722 to record no more than 5 shows at a time but the other day I found where she had recorded 21 shows of something that she's unlikely to watch.

Please help.

You can set her shows to only record a certain number before the old ones delete. All series are preset to only save 20 shows. You can change that to a lower number or unlimited.

Yup, as stated above, just tweak her timers to only allow say 10 maximum.

Something else too that will help ... recording OTA channels is going to take up more disk space that an equivalent satellite channel. You can try shuffling your timers around accordingly.

Edit:

There is always an external hard drive also. Typically run around $100. Dish may charge you around $40 to turn on the feature too. I am not sure what the going rate is these days.

Here's what I'd do. Take the remote, hit DVR, My Recordings, Select a show, Delete. Rinse and Repeat.

"Geez honey, I don't know what happened to all those episodes of say yes to the dress and jerseylicious".

On a serious note, filling up the HDD on the hopper would require quite an effort. The EHD option is a good one.

Dish may charge you around $40 to turn on the feature too. I am not sure what the going rate is these days.
There is no fee for EHD enabling and hasn't been for a few years.

The ViP211(K) has a DVR enabling fee. DVR enabling MUST NOT be confused with EHD as it isn't the same beastie (other than also using a USB connected, single spindle hard drive).

There is no fee for EHD enabling and hasn't been for a few years.

The ViP211(K) has a DVR enabling fee. DVR enabling MUST NOT be confused with EHD as it isn't the same beastie (other than also using a USB connected, single spindle hard drive).

Well, maybe I have been with Dish too long then ;) It cost me $40 to turn on EHD with my 722 a few years back ...

Here's what I'd do. Take the remote, hit DVR, My Recordings, Select a show, Delete. Rinse and Repeat.

"Geez honey, I don't know what happened to all those episodes of say yes to the dress and jerseylicious".

Let us know how living in the basement works out. Hope you at least have a Dish receiver down there..... :)

Yep, no charge for the ViP722 series anymore. Only for the ViP211 series.

And yep, of course, I paid that fee before they did away with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)