New to the DVR concept

fant0mas

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2004
Ok today I just got a Dish install with a 510. I'm trying to record a show on one channel while watching a different show on another. I soon found out this cannot be done. :(

Other than getting a second TV and Dish receiver, is there any way for me to record on one channel and watch on a different one? To me this is mind boggling that in today's day and age of technological advancements I cannot do what would seem like a simple feature.

fant0mas said:
Ok today I just got a Dish install with a 510.

Other than getting a second TV and Dish receiver, is there any way for me to record on one channel and watch on a different one? To me this is mind boggling that in today's day and age of technological advancements I cannot do what would seem like a simple feature.
522, 921, 721 receiver would let you do this.
Technology cost money and second tuner adds cost to the box. Why do you think some TVs have PIP and some don't?

mammothskier said:
522, 921, 721 receiver would let you do this.
Technology cost money and second tuner adds cost to the box. Why do you think some TVs have PIP and some don't?

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Of course, once you "truly" embrace the DVR concept, you'll probably find that you no longer watch anything live. I like that I can watch CSI and any other hour-long show in about 45 minutes. Takes me about 10-15 seconds to skip through the commercials.

And your 510 will allow you to record a program and watch something else you've already recorded.

I love my DVR (721), and can't imagine ever living without a DVR.

Yeah, I know, I watch too much TV, but hey, I like it, so there...

I find that I never watch anything live anymore, if there's currently nothing recorded that I want to watch, I spend my time here. :)

The receiver itself has to have two seperate tuners to be able to watch a live show while recording another live show. Those dual tuner recievers have a 2 in the middle of the model number such as 522, 721, 921 where as the 501, 508, 510 has a 0 or 1 in the middle indicating only one tuner. What you can do with the single tuner recievers is watch one previously recorded show from the DVR Events screen while recording a live show at the same time.

aperry said:
And your 510 will allow you to record a program and watch something else you've already recorded.

Oh that's pretty cool. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)