New to this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

adam45356

Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
ok heres what i got i have always been interested in satellites and stuff like that i have been given a super dish it has the antenna things on the end can i get a fta receiver and set this up using this dish, and if so what receiver would you recommend

i am completely new at this stuff

Hi Adam.......start here http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/ most specifically the "what can I get with an 18" dish or Dish 500 dish" thread. Go from there. Minimum size dish for FTA is
30", larger for some satellites. Oh, and the LNB on your super dish won't work for FTA, you'll need a linear LNB........Best advise, read........read..........oh, and when you've done reading, ask some questions. Then, likely you're gonna want to read some more. It's a fun hobby, but can be quite addictive once started.

also the dish i got is a 36inch wide so i can get a new lnb witch i take is the thing that some people call guns, ok like i sayed im cluless do you have any suggestions on what lnb i need and what receiver i should get, this sounds like a rely cool hobby

ideas

Click on some of the sponsors on the top of the page--many of them sell receivers and replacement-lnbfs. I would suggest a simple rec to begin with,
Fortec Mercury II is a popular one that doesnt have a big price tag. It has blind scan which is very handy (almost essential) to finding those unknown satellite feeds. What type of programming are you looking to watch?

as far a programming just what evers out there maby nasa, also wil the new lbns mount to the superdish? and yes the superdish is 36"wide but its like 20"tall its odd shaped will this work? has any one else used one? and lastly i know this may sound stupid is there any thing you can pick up with the stock superdish lbns it has to that are enclosed in some cover that says hdtv, and one to the left that says dish pro.

Actually a Superdish WILL work for FTA since it has a Ku linear (FSS) LNB, but, as noted, the vertical axis is undersized at about 22 inches. It may have trouble with weaker transponders.

Another thing to consider about the Superdish is that the stock LNBs (the DishPros) are stacked, which means that they output both horizontal- and vertical-polarity channels at the same time by stacking the horizontal transponders in a frequency range above the vertical ones. This means that you either must use a blind scan receiver, or edit your transponder list with a calculator by your side :)

Basically, the dish will work, but is not recommended for someone new to the hobby.

ok i may or may not replace the superdish, i love a challenge though so maby the harder route is the way to go, what blind scan receiver do you recommend is the coolsat 6000 good, also as far a a switch goes is the box on thats on the dish that the three lnbs plug in to then is says receiver 1, 2, and so on work? basically can some on give me a list of what i need to get started if i try to use the superdish? man im deffinatly a newb

adam you can buy a whole system, dish,receiver,cable and all, if you like. A lot of us here went out and found our own dishes. Mostly the old, gray Primestar dishes. Depending on where you live there may still be some standing in people's yards, a lot of them given away just because people don't want them any more. And most of them are 1m or bigger which makes them just right for fta.
Look around, watch the local free-shopper ads, or even run an ad looking for a dish. The coolsats should be good receivers, most of the boxes are about the same. Some may have a bit faster processor or a little more memory but do mostly the same thing. Look for one with blind scan, most have it these days. I even use one of those old direc-pc satellite internet dishes which is about the size of your dish, but has a regular linear lnb and it works ok, though
its a bit small, gets everything on Galaxy10 very well.

what's on FTA

There are a number of web sites listing what you'll find on FTA satellite.
We have an excellent page here at SatGuy's called The List.

However, for a first-timer, this page is probably the most friendly.
It lists programming by satellite, and more importantly, by language.

Lots of FTA are foreign language, and if you are looking for a particular language or culture, this is a good way to find it.
Of course, if English is all you want, then you'll know where to look for that, too. ;)

Some of the most interesting would be world news in English, but presented by non-English-speaking countries.
Always good to know what the other guy thinks about us. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)