New twist on a portable dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
So I got the dilemma of 2 games tomorrow that I want to see...and they're on the same time (and probably not on same satellite). I thought of trying to get a 90cm installed again on the roof but that got to be a pain......and with that motor shot it wouldn't work.

So started thinking.......hmmmm.....then it dawned on me. A portable dish. Took the mast and mounted it a couple 2x6's and put some 2x4 below it. Set it in the back of the truck, threw some sandbags on for support and leveled the mast. Since the Geosat mast can maneuver and level better than most it was very easy to get a level mast. Put the dish on and aimed it. Locked 91W just fine then slowly moved it until I locked 83W. I couldnt stand in the back of the truck to aim the dish because the truck moved then ;). I could have put it in the driveway but I think I had line of site issues. With the truck I didnt.

Took less than 1/2 hour :)
I did take the dish off so tomorrow all I have to do is put it back on and aim it....I know it looked funny to see a mast sticking up in the back of the truck when I ran some errands but I dont care :)

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    671.4 KB · Views: 213
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    823.6 KB · Views: 211
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 218
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    849.1 KB · Views: 194
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    859.8 KB · Views: 225
Dont forget about the dish and coax in the bed of your truck. I can just see the TV flying through the garage door and bouncing behind the truck as you head up to the convenience store at half time! :crowdbounce:

it wont be hooked up to that....there is a cable I have run through the basement out to the garage so I can hook it up directly to the MicroHD :)

In those thumbnails I thought the bed of the truck was full of snow already, HAAha....guess i was expecting it since you get so much of it up there. It's a good idea, I should put one in my truck permanently mounted.

Those Geosat J-poles work well, also the DirecTV J-poles with monopoles (used with Slimline) work well for motorized setups. Mount to a strong pallet, and you've got the perfect portable dish!

well since I ran all my errands this morning and dont plan on going anywhere the portadish is set up already :)

73 quality on the MicroHD

of course my neighbor came out about noon when I was walking back from getting the mail

he looked at the truck, then looked at me, then the truck and said "s**t I dont even wanna know" :D

image-1532765994.jpg

I use the same thing a bit different lay out but the same thing.

Last edited:
Now I wish I had a pickup! I did something similar back when directv/dish started up. Surveyed my deck and bought a receiver/dish package, then set the dish on a 4x4 3/4" plywood/chip board. Since I lived in toward the back of the apartments, no one complained, so I left it out there 24x7.

I did something similar back when directv/dish started up.
I set a small table in the backyard for the same purpose (15? years ago).
C-clamped the foot to tabletop, and found my first bird.
Would that have been 101w?

Now, I keep around a 5-gallon bucket of cement with a pole in it.

You've seen the cellular towers disguised as a tree?
We have a lot of such palm trees out here. :)
Thought about adding a couple of big elephant ear leafs to the bucket, to make it stealthy, and park it out front . ;)

iPhone 4

HD Exhaust pipe, SS hose clamp, some conduit, recycled decking, a couple of deck screws and some misc ballast.

Attachments

• base_temp.jpg
    base_temp.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 123
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts