New user/510 monthly fees

velani

Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Hi,

Being a first time Dish subscriber, I took their offer of a FREE 510 DVR not realizing that they will charge a $10 monthly usage fee if I had top 50 programming.

I called DISH and they cancelled my 510 DVR programming since the store failed to mention it.

Question 1: If I buy my own 510 DVR, can I use it and not pay the monthly usage charge?

Question 2: I like the DVR feature but not sure if I am up for paying a monthly usage charge. What are my options?

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. I am on a steep learning curve.

Velani

I think you can get the monthly fee down to five bucks by moving your program package up just one notch. My understanding is that the fee is for the program guide so you'd have to pay it whether you got the receiver from Dish or E-bay. (I could be wrong)
I'm not sure why they think the 510 is worth a fee and the 501/508 are not. Other than the hard drive size, I don't think there's any difference.
For $99.00 you can get a dual tuner Tivo installed with DirecTV with only a five dollar monthly fee.

Can you get a 508 any more with the new subscriber deals? I am trying to woo a new subscriber but she is put off with the DVR fee and would like a 508 instead.

The 510 only has a $5/monthly charge not $10. It's well worth the $5.

The only way you can get a 508 is if you buy it at $300. Why you'd want to do that, I don't know. Ppl are already getting a 510 for free and still want a 508 free with no dvr fee. Suck it up. You're getting a great deal as it is.

The only way to get rid of the extra $5 a month DVR fee is to subscribe to the AEP programming package which most us are not going to do, I have three of the 508 receivers which do not have the DVR fee but the only way to get them is on Ebay or find a dealer like the Dishstore that still has some left in stock. If you need more than one DVR go with Direct TV, I have been a Dish Network customer for a long time but they just do not want customers anymore they decided to up their profit margins and lose customers no matter at what cost to the company.

If the 510 is a additional receiver the monthly charge is $10 a month unless you subscribe the the AEP package.

velani said:
Hi,

Being a first time Dish subscriber, I took their offer of a FREE 510 DVR not realizing that they will charge a $10 monthly usage fee if I had top 50 programming.

I called DISH and they cancelled my 510 DVR programming since the store failed to mention it.

Question 1: If I buy my own 510 DVR, can I use it and not pay the monthly usage charge?

Question 2: I like the DVR feature but not sure if I am up for paying a monthly usage charge. What are my options?

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. I am on a steep learning curve.

Velani

The DVR monthly fee is now only $4.98 per month with any programing package except Americas Everything Pak (AEP), then it is $0 per month. Additional receivers cost $4.99 extra per month , this is in addition to the $4.98 DVR fee but not directly related.

1. NO, it does not matter if you get it on the Free Dish Plan, DHP lease plan or purchase it at the full msrp price of $299 you will still need to pay the $4.98 monthly fee except with AEP.
2. You can purchase a 501, 508 or 721 from a dealer or e-bay, these may be used, re-furbished or a left over new one but their is no monthly fee on these units. The only difference between the 501 and 508 from the 510 is a smaller hard drive, 40G with about 35 hr recording time on the 501, 80G and about 60 hr recording time on 508, 120G and 100 hr recording time on both the 510 and 722. 501 and 508 will still likely cost you close to $300. The 721 which like the 510 has a 120G hard drive but no monthly DVR fee also includes a 2nd satellite tuner allowing you to record two satellite channels at the same time or watch one satellite channel live and record another satellite channel at the same time, the 721 is not discounted and has a msrp price of $499.

But do you still have to pay the extra reciever fee if you purchase the 508 outright ? I understand no PVR fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts