New: Whole House Networking question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jawbox

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
So I'm completely new to DirectTV and I find that some of the online information glosses over the details of an install. I'm hoping there are a few people that can fill in the gaps.

Anyway, I have an install scheduled for next week. I ordered two HD DVRs, Whole Home DVR, and the Internet connection kit. I'm going to have one downstairs, one upstairs. My wired internet connection is available upstairs and I use Wireless-N through the rest of the house.

Do all the receivers need to have an internet connection in order to take advantage of all the connected features?

Are all the connections going to have to be hard wired?

(If I need to connect the downstairs DVR) Does an installer typically bring wireless bridges or powerline networking kits or should I be getting them in advance of the install.

Thanks, I know I'm rambling a bit.

The networking is done with the RG6 cables going to your receivers. If you want to download on-demand video and use the applications, then a DECA will need to be connected to your router. Since you order Whole Home DVR and Internet connection, you should be good to go.

These is the DECA adapter and it connects to your router.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...DECA--(DECA1MR01)&c=Satellite Components&sku=

So I'm completely new to DirectTV and I find that some of the online information glosses over the details of an install. I'm hoping there are a few people that can fill in the gaps.

Anyway, I have an install scheduled for next week. I ordered two HD DVRs, Whole Home DVR, and the Internet connection kit. I'm going to have one downstairs, one upstairs. My wired internet connection is available upstairs and I use Wireless-N through the rest of the house.

Do all the receivers need to have an internet connection in order to take advantage of all the connected features?

Are all the connections going to have to be hard wired?

(If I need to connect the downstairs DVR) Does an installer typically bring wireless bridges or powerline networking kits or should I be getting them in advance of the install.

Thanks, I know I'm rambling a bit.
On my install there is only one DVR that has a wired ethernet connection. I believe this is referred to as a DECA (sorry don't know the acronym) and it "feeds" the others through the RG6 wiring utilizing a splitter/combiner system. I am not sure if this can be achieved wirelessly but it's to your advantage (speedwise) to have it hardwired. It can be into ANY of your receivers I think. I have two HD-DVRs and two HD receivers. We REALLY like MRV and would highly recommend it. My installer had all necessary items with him. :cool:

Wow, quick replies. Thank you.

Looks like I'll be set, we'll be able to hardwire the upstairs DVR and make it the DECA.

This Whole Home DVR feature works great and using the RG6 cable for networking is very convenient. You'll like it and let's hope you get a good installer that knows how to do it. :)

Looks like I'll be set, we'll be able to hardwire the upstairs DVR and make it the DECA.
The upstairs Ethernet cable will go to a standalone DECA adapter (the Internet Connection Kit).

You must NEVER plug an Ethernet cable into the receiver as it will disable DECA on that receiver.

Sorry to jump into your post. But I have a similar question. My wired ethernet connection goes strait into my dvr from my router and I find no DECA in my install. I ordered whole house and cant seem to view recorded stuff in any room could this be the problem no DECA?

What is your setup including model numbers? You can go without DECA in some setups BUT you still must contact DirecTV and have the MRV service added. $3 / mo (this is how I do it / self-managed)

Are you able to connect to the net and get VoD?

The install is new three days ago,done by D's installer. So equipment has built in DECA they tell me. I can download VOD and set manual autotunes from other receivers. The DVR is plugged into my router.

They had me download software update and still cant view on the other two TV's. Tells me no networked DVR found. The guy that did the install called and is going to try to come back in the next couple of days. But I thought I would poke around on the net to see if anyone had any ideas. It's driving me nuts.

The install is new three days ago,done by D's installer. So equipment has built in DECA they tell me. I can download VOD and set manual autotunes from other receivers. The DVR is plugged into my router.

They had me download software update and still cant view on the other two TV's. Tells me no networked DVR found. The guy that did the install called and is going to try to come back in the next couple of days. But I thought I would poke around on the net to see if anyone had any ideas. It's driving me nuts.

You can not plug an ethernet cable into the receiver, that will disable the MRV feature. You need to have a DECA installed at your router to give internet connection.

You can not plug an ethernet cable into the receiver, that will disable the MRV feature. You need to have a DECA installed at your router to give internet connection.

I asked them about that several times and they insist thats not the problem. I'm going to follow your advice and disconnect the Ethernet cable and do a reset to see what happens.

Yup unplugging the ethernet connection and a reset did the trick. So now I need a deca for my router connection.

Thanks for all the help. I'm guessing as new as this is D is confused but you would think the installer would know.

Thanks again for all the great help

Yup unplugging the ethernet connection and a reset did the trick. So now I need a deca for my router connection.

Thanks for all the help. I'm guessing as new as this is D is confused but you would think the installer would know.

Thanks again for all the great help

Well you would think, but sometimes they are not very good at getting info out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)