New Year, new local dispute

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
See that Dish is in ANOTHER spat with a local broadcaster, this time in Evansville

Both the CBS & FOX were pulled last night. They are locally owned (as in these are the only stations that company owns...Nextar did own them until the 1st of the year)

press release from the station

The agreement between Dish Network and Bayou City Broadcasting Evansville to carry WEVV (CBS44 and FOX44) expired Wednesday January 7, 2015 at Midnight. Bayou City Broadcasting offered to extend the agreement through Friday January 9, 2015. Dish Network has declined Bayou City Broadcasting's offer. Dish Network does not appear to value the programming that WEVV offers to Dish Network's customers now that the ownership has changed on January 2, 2015 to Bayou City Broadcasting Evansville. Under Bayou City Broadcasting WEVV will continue to bring viewers coverage of the NFL including 14 Indianapolis Colts games. WEVV is also home to CBS coverage of NCAA Basketball including University of Kentucky Basketball, The Masters, and great programs like NCIS, Scorpion, CSI, The Good Wife, Survivor, 60 Minutes, and more. WEVV also brings viewers FOX coverage of the NFL, NASCAR, and great programs like Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, American Idol, and more. Dish Network was also informed that Bayou City Broadcasting will be improving upon their broadcast by adding Local News to WEVV in the very near future. If you are a Dish Network Customer, take action now so you don’t miss the AFC and NFC Playoffs. You may receive WEVV over the air with an antenna, through DirecTV, or your local cable provider.

So do you just sit around and look online for local programming disputes companies that you don't subscribe to are having all day?

Kind of like Cordillera Communications and Directv?
I dont understand what your post has to do with anything since this is the DISH forum?

Just making a thread that Dish is in another local dispute so the folks in Evansville can see why their CBS & FOX were pulled.

Reactions: foghorn2
So do you just sit around and look online for local programming disputes companies that you don't subscribe to are having all day?
If you are referring to me I saw it on the uplink report that the stations were pulled

Gee I thought I was helping out by creating a thread about the dispute. Didn't know some people would be so offended by it

The agreement between Dish Network and Bayou City Broadcasting Evansville to carry WEVV (CBS44 and FOX44) expired Wednesday January 7, 2015 at Midnight. Bayou City Broadcasting offered to extend the agreement through Friday January 9, 2015. Dish Network has declined Bayou City Broadcasting's offer. Dish Network does not appear to value the programming that WEVV offers to Dish Network's customers now that the ownership has changed on January 2, 2015 to Bayou City Broadcasting Evansville. Under Bayou City Broadcasting WEVV will continue to bring viewers coverage of the NFL including 14 Indianapolis Colts games. WEVV is also home to CBS coverage of NCAA Basketball including University of Kentucky Basketball, The Masters, and great programs like NCIS, Scorpion, CSI, The Good Wife, Survivor, 60 Minutes, and more. WEVV also brings viewers FOX coverage of the NFL, NASCAR, and great programs like Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, American Idol, and more. Dish Network was also informed that Bayou City Broadcasting will be improving upon their broadcast by adding Local News to WEVV in the very near future. If you are a Dish Network Customer, take action now so you don’t miss the AFC and NFC Playoffs. You may receive WEVV over the air with an antenna, through DirecTV, or your local cable provider.
I find the bolded interesting (assuming it's true). Why would Dish NOT extend? Just to piss off customers?

Why do the local networks charge dish, directv, or cable for their distribution? Since they broadcast the same thing for free over the air.
My theory is because when LiL first started, locals were a separate line item on people's bill. Dish (et al) were obviously making a profit (however slight), and owners decided "hey, if you're going to make money from us, we want a cut of it".

I wish we could get in the "way back machine" and have MVPDs provide locals for "free" (wink, wink), and see if retrans money would still be required.

Oh, I've also heard networks are asking for a cut of affiliates retrans money (on top of the fees affiliates already pay to be an affiliate).

My theory is because when LiL first started, locals were a separate line item on people's bill. Dish (et al) were obviously making a profit (however slight), and owners decided "hey, if you're going to make money from us, we want a cut of it".

I wish we could get in the "way back machine" and have MVPDs provide locals for "free" (wink, wink), and see if retrans money would still be required.

Oh, I've also heard networks are asking for a cut of affiliates retrans money (on top of the fees affiliates already pay to be an affiliate).
According to Les Moonves and his $2B desire, that is true. That was one of the things he mentioned when going through the CBS debacle last month.

I, for one, am glad you are on top of things. When I first heard of the dispute, this is the first place I came to try and find the details. Of course, Dish and WEVV will have their own biased versions with some truth and propaganda intertwined. Seems it is always the other guys fault.

Reactions: Mr Tony and rwjga
Now my local FOX (KTBY Anchorage) is in a dispute with Dish, when I called the General manager in Anchorage to complain, he informed me that ABC (KYUR Anchorage) will go "black" at midnight Friday. I am so sick of this BS.

Iceberg, maybe you could start a thread with the details for us Alaska folks.

Rob

I remember reading somewhere over a year ago (online, so it must be true:)) that Dish would prefer not to deal with "mom and pop" stations and deal with owners of many stations. Maybe this is part of that picture. Makes it kind of hard, like any of these disputes, on those that live outside of the broadcast area.
Just out of curiosity does anyone here know how many tv stations are of the "mom and pop" type?
And are there published anywhere what the stations make per sub for the rebroadcast? A nickle, 50 cents, a dollar?

Just out of curiosity does anyone here know how many tv stations are of the "mom and pop" type?
I'd almost guess that there's a relationship between "mom and pop" owned stations and the market sizes. Stations in the top (100) markets (I'm just picking a nice number) are owned by companies who operate multiple stations - which years ago, I'm almost positive, wasn't allowed by the FCC (??). My hometown of Lima OH has the ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC owned by the same company.

I remember reading somewhere over a year ago (online, so it must be true:)) that Dish would prefer not to deal with "mom and pop" stations and deal with owners of many stations. Maybe this is part of that picture. Makes it kind of hard, like any of these disputes, on those that live outside of the broadcast area.
And are there published anywhere what the stations make per sub for the rebroadcast? A nickle, 50 cents, a dollar?

Not sure what size a station has to be for it to be considered small or "mom and pop", but Coastal television in Anchorage is the ABC affiliate for all of Alaska= Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks market area's, and the Fox affiliate for Anchorage and Juneau, and the CW affiliate for all of Alaska.

Now I am just an old country boy originally from Ohio, but that seems pretty big to me.

Rob

I, for one, am glad you are on top of things. When I first heard of the dispute, this is the first place I came to try and find the details.
Thank you

Of course, Dish and WEVV will have their own biased versions with some truth and propaganda intertwined. Seems it is always the other guys fault.
of course they do

Reactions: ronharp1
what do you consider "mom & pop?" I assume stations that arent owned by big conglomerates like Sinclair, Gray, Nextar, Scripps, Raycom and such?

They are out there but they are kinda few and far between. I know the station in Mankato, MN (75 miles from Minneapolis) is owned by United Communications. They own 3 stations. KEYC Mankato (CBS/FOX) and the CBS & Fox affiliates in Watertown, NY

For funsies you can look at the list of owners here. Click on a station and it shows you the network affiliation
http://rabbitears.info/search.php?request=owner_list

Not sure what size a station has to be for it to be considered small or "mom and pop", but Coastal television in Anchorage is the ABC affiliate for all of Alaska= Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks market area's, and the Fox affiliate for Anchorage and Juneau, and the CW affiliate for all of Alaska.

Now I am just an old country boy originally from Ohio, but that seems pretty big to me.

Rob
I think they meant number of stations. I would consider that mom & pop. They only have 4 stations to bargain with (subchannels that are not Big 4 dont count) and its all one area (Alaska)

The short answer is "no". We do know Cordillera Communications (currently in dispute w/Direct) posted on their website that they were looking for "less than 10 cents a day". So that would be just under $3/month. They've apparently changed that phrase to "pennies a day".