New York City 129W

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
A friend wants to pick up 129W TP1 (12.2-12.7 circular) in New York City but does not want to pop for bigger antenna unless he knows he can get the signal and how big an antenna he should buy. It looks like a 3 to 6 foot antenna would do it from the satmaps.

Sure would appreciate anyone in the NY area taking a look at 129W and seeing if you can see a signal on TP1.

Thanks

The 17.5° of elevation might be the bigger challenge.
He'll need a clear shot with no obstructions.
And either tilt the dish slightly downward, or (my favorite) invert the dish on the pole.

he presently has a 24 inch dish and is getting TP8 which is on the same spotbeam. they must have TP1 dialed down by some factor.

129 has never been used in the NYC dma, It is possible to get it to work (I have done it several times but custy looses HD locals SD are on 119 and 110) but the only reason I could think of is to get locals from another DMA which will not work because most are on spotbeams which will only be readable if you are close enough and I think that the closest is very far away. Additionaly if the mailing address is NYC Dish will not enable the reciever to recieve out of DMA signals

Different transponders make up the spotbeam. Not every transponder in the beam hits all of the coverage area.
From TheList, transponder 8 is for TX on beam 49 and transponder 1 is on beam 25.

Plus he would lose his NYC locals if he "moved" to get Cleveland

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts