New york Islanders fire Ted Nolan after just two years

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Ted Nolan out as Islanders coach -- Newsday.com

So much for the second chance.

Has a nice first year in 2006-07, gets them into the playoffs, and they actually gave my Sabres a hard time in a series I thought would be horrifically lopsided.

One bad year, and he gets canned?

Sandra is 100% right- the Islanders ARE a mess!

Since 1991, the team has had 11 coaches in 17 years (In contrast, my team has had only four)

Also, I wasn't too happy with the way this guy (and Muckler, who I credit for reviving what was a stagnant team, BTW) was blackballed out of Buffalo about a decade ago.

Given Nolan's ties with my Sabres and Sandra's favorite punching bag (Wasn't she supposed to be back yesterday from her vacation?), I felt like this should be brought up.

And where is Sandra, anyway? I just know she wants to gloat over what has happened to her favorite punching bags.

Last edited:
How cool is this news? Ted Nolan is out because of philosophical differences with Garth Snow...you just can't make this stuff up! Perhaps Snow wanted Nolan to wear shoulder pads under his suit that made his shoulders higher than the top of his head...like Snow did when he played goal.

This furthers my dad's argument that Bill Torrey sold his soul to Miroslav Satan back in 1980, which allowed the Stinklanders to win some Stanley Cups, but then turned them into the laughing stock of the league once the run was over.

Think about all the missteps over the years...

...hiring Don Maloney as GM to secretly begin a reign of error that sends the franchise spiraling down a drain they'll never get out of...

...Maloney trades for Ron Hextall...

...Maloney trades Pierre Turgeon for Kirk Muller during the season, then allows Muller to leave via free ageny after the season...

...they bring in the absolutely riduclous fishsticks uniforms, one of the worst decisions a sports franchise has made in our lifetime...unless you're a Ranger fan, of course, since the uniforms have been something we can and will use against them forever...

...Lorne Henning and Rick Bowness's brief and failed attempts at coaching...

...the team being sold to John Spano, who, it turned out, didn't have as much in assets as the average satellite forum poster...and Spano winds up in jail for fraud...

...the center ice scoreboard crashing to the ground when luckily nobody was underneath it...surely a sign of good things to come...

...Mike Milbury's brilliant trades of Roberto Luongo, Oli Jokinen, Bryan Berrard, Todd Bertuzzi and Zdeno Chara...

...Milbury's equally brilliant firing of Peter Laviolette because the players said they lost confidence in him...right before he found the confidence to win the Stanley Cup with the Canes...

...the albatross contract of Alexie Yashin...

...the hiring and firing (quitting?) of Neil Smith as GM to replace Milbury, which happened within about 15 minutes of each other...and replacing Smith with the backup goalie...

...trading prospect Robert Nilsson for Ryan Smith at the deadline, who took one look around when he got to Long Island and immediately decided he was signing elsewhere at the end of the season...

...today's firing of Ted Nolan...

I know my Rangers are bad, but goodness having a team like the messlanders a few miles away makes any team look good in comparison.

Sandra

Last edited:
Nice to see you're back from vacation.

We've got a lot of catching up to do on this site.

Oh, and the fact that you're back in time for the All-Star Game is only fitting, since it's from Yankee Stadium and you're a fan of the Bronx Bombers.