Newb Guide Questions...

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
The 722 menuing system seems pretty straightforward. However, a few things have stumped me...

Duplicate channels:
Why are channels listed twice? For instance TLC is at both 9488 and 183. Any way to omit duplicate channels?

Missing locals:
For some reason, when I scan for locals (OTA) it doesn't pick up channel 45.1, which typically comes in stronger than many of the other locals. If I go to add it manually, I can't pick a sub channel...and the 45 I can select shows no signals. Any idea why that would be (the other TV with rabbit ears picks it up just fine). ADDENDUM: another odd one: It finds 17, 17.1, but not 17.2, 17.3, 17.4, 17.5

Analog locals:
Any way to hide them?

Removing channels we don't have:
Any way to turn off the guide from listing the channels we don't have? It's annoying and I don't want the kids accidently ordering one of those 'upgrade without having to call' channels. I can't seem to find such an option short of creating a custom guide list from scratch.

And, finally...New Channels...if/when they're added, do we get a notice of some sort? Of if we had created a custom guide, do we just need to go check the default one once in a while?

Duplicate channels:
Why are channels listed twice? For instance TLC is at both 9488 and 183. Any way to omit duplicate channels?
The 9000 channels are the actual channel numbers and the others are map downs that correspond to the SD channel. You can go into the menu and turn off the map downs, or you can lock your system and mark which channels you want locked then hide those channels.

Missing locals:
For some reason, when I scan for locals (OTA) it doesn't pick up channel 45.1, which typically comes in stronger than many of the other locals. If I go to add it manually, I can't pick a sub channel...and the 45 I can select shows no signals. Any idea why that would be (the other TV with rabbit ears picks it up just fine). ADDENDUM: another odd one: It finds 17, 17.1, but not 17.2, 17.3, 17.4, 17.5
45.1 is probably not on channel 45 but 45.1 is the virtual channel number - find the true RF channel and in the add locals menu put in that number - the virtual channel should be mapped along with all its subchannels.

Analog locals:
Any way to hide them?
Hide channels by locking them and then hiding the locked channels.

Removing channels we don't have:
Any way to turn off the guide from listing the channels we don't have? It's annoying and I don't want the kids accidently ordering one of those 'upgrade without having to call' channels. I can't seem to find such an option short of creating a custom guide list from scratch.
Use the same lock then hide scenario.

And, finally...New Channels...if/when they're added, do we get a notice of some sort? Of if we had created a custom guide, do we just need to go check the default one once in a while?
New channels will appear in the guide and not be locked or hidden. You should also become a regular here to learn about new channels.

I am not at home so I cannot give specific instructions to do the Lock/Hide scenario, maybe later.

I am not at home so I cannot give specific instructions to do the Lock/Hide scenario, maybe later.

Press menu; locks; channel locks; select all the channels you want to hide; press done; press hide locked; then you need to enter a four number code twice to lock system. Any new channels added to the Dish Network line up will appear in the guide when they are made available.

Wow. Great advice. That is way smarter than creating a custom guide like I have done, because new channels will appear without any work on the user end... But then again, if I had done that, I may have never looked for this forum...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts