There is a way to make copy's from ext hard drive back to your 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I have posted this in the ext hard drive bug page ,but I think this needs it own thread. I found this out by accident and have verified many times so here it is.
This works on my seagate freeagent desktop 500gb hd but I'm not sure about other drives.
1. leave your drive in the sleep mode I've done this from 15 minute sleep and in the 5 hour sleep mode, it does not work from never sleep mode.
2. you can only start this process from getting a blank list when you go to mange device and your ext hd comes up with no list but shows some of the memory being used. this has happened to mine quite a few times and I have seen other posts that this has been an issue with other peoples ext hd also.
3.after your ext hd shows up with no list go back to the 622 and send a movie to the ext hd, you will get an error message. I just did this a few minutes ago and after I tried 3 times I went back to my ext hd and the list was now there.
4. Now select any show or movie from the ext hd "I done as many as 4 at one time" and hit the restore button It will give you the green bar with time remaining.
5. after it's done your ext hd will still show your movies that you just restored back to the 622
6. go back to the 622 and go to my recordings and they will be there also, you might have to look for them since when you restore they go back to there original order in which you recorded them.
7. Now this is the important part you have to hit the start button and play the movie's, I have done it by playing them for as little as 3 seconds. and then you will have a copy on both drives.
8. to get back to normal turn ext hd off and then back on.

I have done this on 3 different days with about 15 movies and it works every time. I guess since these units are computers like all computers you can make duplicates, dish just wrote their code to not allow this "DRM" so I accidently found a back door way of getting around that. This will probaly go away when they do an update but it works now. I must say that I wasn't trying to find a way to do this, I was just mad and kept trying to send to archive to get something to happen because I had archived my entire movie collection to the seagate and I thought they were gone forever. I have gone back and played the original's and copy's all the way thru and there is no problems . I have also deleted the copy on the 622 and went back to the ext hd and played it from there so there not sharing the same file. I 've also started the copy on the 622 and went back to ext hd same movie and paused at different points and when I went back and forth they would start from where I left off at each one. I have done a few other tests to verify this and it always works right.
This is nice if you have 2 or more 622's because you can have a ext hd for each one with the same archive. Or for the real paranoid you can make duplicate archive's in case 1 craps out
If you have any questions just ask.

Last edited:
In case Dish didn't already know about this, congratulations on telling them. You can be sure they'll fix this as soon as possible.

this will be fixed as soon as they fix the sleep hard drive problem anyway because that's the only way to do it. I doubt if they will do anything about just this issue anytime soon, besides there's probaly more people who would rather have the sleep bug fixed.

update on copy's

I picked up another seagate ext hd over the weekend and went ahead and made copy's of 25 movies with the method above, and then loaded them onto the new drive via the 622. I also copied them again back to the 622, now I have those 25 movies on both ext hd's and the 622. All movies I've tried play normaly since I started doing this, both sd and hd. I have yet to find any problems and from what I've read on other threads it is very unlikly that the 2 different bug's that make this possible will be fixed anytime soon. I think that this is possible even with only 1. As I said before it works now, but for how long?

Guess I'm missing something here, but what's the benefit of having two copies, one on your HD and one on the 622 itself?

Guess I'm missing something here, but what's the benefit of having two copies, one on your HD and one on the 622 itself?

I can think of at least 3, first when they activate the 222's ability to use ext hd, you can have all your content from your 622 for both or more "no dvr fee's" I don't think I could go back to a non dvr receiver but some might like to. Then of course a backup copy just in case something happens to the first one, just in case you have some content you can't live without. and third what if you had some content restored back to the 622, that you can't live without and it crashes and you have to get a replacement? It also might be possible to use with pocketdish or the 522 and 625 someday "SD ONLY" I connected one of my ext hd's to my 522 and it said This feature is not available "YET", I'm sure somebody would know if that could work or not. I really don't need any backups now but it's nice to have the option, like I said before this was a feature that some had on their wish list before they rolled it out.

In case Dish didn't already know about this, congratulations on telling them. You can be sure they'll fix this as soon as possible.

Right.... dish will fix it as soon as possible...

Hopefully they will also fix the code to allow us to move our hard drive from one 622 to another at the same time. I am not going to pay the fee until this feature is added. If they don't add it I won't mind not having the feature.

Right.... dish will fix it as soon as possible...

Hopefully they will also fix the code to allow us to move our hard drive from one 622 to another at the same time. I am not going to pay the fee until this feature is added. If they don't add it I won't mind not having the feature.
I got the L443 on my 622 and guess what, I can still make make copies and I don't have the other bugs.

I am wondering how I would make a back-up of a movie that is from the Dish 622 and has been sent over to my Freeagent Pro hard drive. If you send the movie back to the 622, does it also stay on the hard drive so you can hook up another hard drive and make a back up? In other words, you would end up with the same movie on 2 externals...possible?

I am wondering how I would make a back-up of a movie that is from the Dish 622 and has been sent over to my Freeagent Pro hard drive. If you send the movie back to the 622, does it also stay on the hard drive so you can hook up another hard drive and make a back up? In other words, you would end up with the same movie on 2 externals...possible?
No. Once it goes to either drive, nothing is left behind. Part of DRM adherence.

Yes if you follow my instructions on this thread I have done it many times and it still works even after lastest update, but I am not sure about the pro version. another way you can tell if this will work is when you get a error when you try to send to ext hd, that means it is in the mode that will work. I now have 2 ext hd's with some of my favorite movies on both and still have copies on my 622 so it does work., but you have to follow each step exactly.

I would hope this will happen soon. I had things recorded on my 622 in my living room that I want to be able to watch on my 722 in my HT room.

Anyone have news on how soon this will become a reality?

Well, perhaps they missed this but with threads like this, not anymore. I am sure there are Dish people who read sat threads. This would have been better left unsaid or private messaged.

Well, perhaps they missed this but with threads like this, not anymore. I am sure there are Dish people who read sat threads. This would have been better left unsaid or private messaged.
I've said this before and I will say it again, this is only possible because of the sleep mode issue, once they fix that it may or may not work. if this was an easy fix they would have done it by now. for everybody else do it while you can it still works.

I've said this before and I will say it again, this is only possible because of the sleep mode issue, once they fix that it may or may not work. if this was an easy fix they would have done it by now. for everybody else do it while you can it still works.

What is the sleep mode issue? I bought my Seagate Freeagent and hooked it right up to the dvr, no computer, and then let Dish format the drive. So what is the sleep mode? And what is the issue with it? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)