Can both TV1 and TV2 on 622 by HDTV?

debhoy

Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
First of all, I am not very technical, so please dumb it down for me!

We have a 622 with an HDTV as TV1 and an old TV in our bedroom as TV2. We are replacing TV2 with a new HDTV. We didn't realize that TV2 was only 480i. Is there a simple way to connect 2 HDTVs to this receiver? We don't care if both have to watch the same channel at the same time, because we only watch one TV at a time anyway. We would rather not have to get another receiver, because we never know what recorded program we will want to watch on the bedroom TV. Seems silly to record the same things on 2 different DVRs.

Thanks for your suggestions.

You will need to run HDMI to one TV and Component along with audio cables to the other and you will be watching the same channel on both from TV1 tuner

About the only way to get HD on both TV1 & TV2 would be to either an HDMI cable or the green, blue, red along with an audio cable to TV2 if it isn't too far of a run to the TV2 location. The receiver has mulitple HD outputs and you could utilize the different outputs.

If the TV2 run is quite some distance, it will be far cheaper and more reliable to run component rather than video. My favorite cable site has 100 ft. component video with audio for $40, cheapest 100 ft HDMI they have is $100. Personally, I would never run HDMI over 30 feet. Just throw your receiver into Single Mode and you'll be set for both TV's.

Give the coax line a try first - we have our bedroom TV on coax as TV2 and we think the picture is really good. Not as good as HD but definitly sharper than SD, but who cares when the set is 10 feet away and your glasses off!

Plus you do get the DVR functions in the bedroom and that really works out good.

Give the coax line a try first - we have our bedroom TV on coax as TV2 and we think the picture is really good. Not as good as HD but definitly sharper than SD, but who cares when the set is 10 feet away and your glasses off!

Plus you do get the DVR functions in the bedroom and that really works out good.
In the OP, he has a second HDTV. No good with coax.

distant Hd

Mine is run over a 50 foot HDMI cable and works fine. Not fun running the cable through the attic though. Something like $39 at monoprice.com

If you run a long multi-wire HDMI cable use heavier gauge (22?) and not the short run versions (26/28 gauge).
With component you will need 5 (RGB video + RW audio) cables. Some use adapters for RCA to F connectors so they can use pre-packaged 100' RG-6 cables, yes the same as your satellite coax for low capacity per foot. The cost will have to be checked first. Do go to monoprice for the near best price.
-Ken

I see that, but my HDTV looks good with the coax run. My suggestion was to give it a try and see how it looks then take further action if needed.

No cost and no effort so why not?

That's not a bad suggestion. The OP didn't say how big his TV was. If it's a 32" TV viewed from ten feet away, you might not be able to tell the difference between SD and HD. But if it's a larger TV, or viewed at a short distance, then SD is probably not an option.

If both of the HD sets have HDMI inputs (as I think they do), consider getting an HDMI splitter that are easy to find on-line. Then your problem should be solved....as long as you don't mind both sets receiving the same channel at the same time (as you mentioned in your OP).

Good luck!

For me the bedroom tv looks way better in HD than over the tv2 coax from the 622. I did a wireless solution since I didn't plan for HD when the house was built and running new cables wasn't possible, but I'd still vote for getting real HD to the second tv.

I did the same thing. Me and my girlfriend only watch one TV at a time, but when the kids are over, I watch HD and stick the kids with the SD from TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)