newb needs info... totally lost

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DocNyr

Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Hi. I am writing to you after just moving to Eastern PA. I was wondering what my options are... Here is my situation...

I want to watch college football games that are not being broadcast here since ABC uses some regional preferences and has decided for me what I SHOULD be watching! So, I am wondering about investing in a FTA receiver/dish setup to catch ABC stations from another part of the country. My questions are:

(1) Is this even possible?

(2) Where do I go to get the equipment and what is recommended?

(3) The previous resident in this place I bought left behind two DishNetwork dishes, and a SAMSUNG sir ts360 receiver.... which does not receive anything since the account has been cancelled. I know nothing about satellites, etc. Can these be rigged to become FTA?

I do not watch any other TV shows... and have no desire to watch any other sports except college football. This is because I travel all week and am only home on Saturdays. That is why I dont want to get a regular satellite tv service.

Thanks for all the help you can provide.

Doc

Its possible to see a LOT of college sports but with FTA you take what you get, there is usually no way to turn on the system and watch a game of your choice. You take what you get!

To get as many games as possible it would be a good idea to also slave an analog receiver to your DVB receiver!

Any of our GOLD sponsors above would LOVE to help!

:welcome

DocNyr said:
Hi. I am writing to you after just moving to Eastern PA. I was wondering what my options are... Here is my situation...

I want to watch college football games that are not being broadcast here since ABC uses some regional preferences and has decided for me what I SHOULD be watching! So, I am wondering about investing in a FTA receiver/dish setup to catch ABC stations from another part of the country. My questions are:

(1) Is this even possible?
most of the ABC football games are scrambled so you wouldn't be able to get them. There are other games out there but as PSB said, you take what you get. You may not be able to see "the big game" but there are lots of other games out there (alot of them I have to wait and hear what they say for teams because how many MSU's are there) :)

(2) Where do I go to get the equipment and what is recommended?
I would check out the gold sponsers at the top. All top notch :)

(3) The previous resident in this place I bought left behind two DishNetwork dishes, and a SAMSUNG sir ts360 receiver.... which does not receive anything since the account has been cancelled. I know nothing about satellites, etc. Can these be rigged to become FTA?

nope. Need a different setup. You need at least a 30" dish and a different receiver

So, which of the dealers here has a rep in Allentown, PA? I would want someone to come to my place and fix the whole system up and then demo it to me. I am very bad in term of technology so this has to be a turnkey type project. What would it cost? Thanks for your help

The dealers here do not really have reps around the country, you would have to look at your yellow pages for Licensed satellite installers in your area!

Always ask if they have ever done a Ku installation before!

PSB said:
The dealers here do not really have reps around the country, you would have to look at your yellow pages for Licensed satellite installers in your area!

Always ask if they have ever done a Ku installation before!

Thanks for your input... But any idea of how much something like what i wanted might cost? I just want a ball park number so that I am not taken to the cleaners.
Many thanks.

For just the installation?

I charge $135 for a fixed dish installation (Add $50 and an hour of extra work for a motorized system), I am state licensed, certified, insured, bonded and Scottish :)

Hope the above helps in you not getting ripped off!

As above, to get A LOT of college games you will also need an Analog receiver, those can be had for around $20-50 used!

The MAIN thing is to get an installer that has done Ku installs before! DON'T let them learn on your time!

Also ask them what kind of satellite meter they use! If they say they use a small TV, tell them to forget it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info PSB... Now, what equipment will I need, how much will it cost, and where do i get it from. When you talk about analog, etc... I don't know what the hell that means... so, please be patient.... Thanks.... Also, what do I look out for when ordering the stuff?

My house does not have any trees within about 400 feet from the house in any direction. I live on a 2 acre lot in the country....ya ya I know.. the boonies of PA... yeehaw.

Thanks once again for enlightening me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts