newbie 811 and ota help please

max_jack

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
I'm technologically challenged, so please forgive the dumb questions! :))

1. I have an 811. I want to receive HD from my local stations. I see where I have a 8vsb antenna input on the back of the 811. Do I need to find some sort of 8vsb antenna to plug into my receiver in order to get the ota through my satellite?

2. If I get a hook on antenna to my satellite dish (from radio shack), how do I actually see the OTA on my TV? Do I have to run additional cable, Is it automatically recognized on through my satellite?

3. If I buy an indoor antenna - same question..... how do I actually see it on my TV?

I know these are very basic questions, but I would really appreciate some detailed, idiot proof responses! Thanks!

"The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask."

In response to your questions.

1. Yes you will need an antenna. 8VSB refers to the type of modulation used for DTV a VHF/UHF TV antenna will do the job for most people. Visit antennaweb.org to find out what type of antenna is needed for your location.

2 and 3. Connect the antenna to the 8VSV antenna. Step by step instructions can be found on pages 28 and 29 of the 811 User's Manual.

You have asked generic questions, yet want detailed replies. Oh well.

Generically, you can plug in an OTA antenna and use the 811 to tune the stations - they will be sent to your TV just like a satellite channel.

The devil is in the details. Without knowing anything about where you are, the details will not be forthcoming. Indoor vs. outdoor, etc., etc.

Try http://www.antennaweb.org to learn more about OTA antennas.

sorry - don't know enough to be very specific, but here goes.....

Live in Montgomery Alabama , 36117. according to antennaweb, I need a small multi-directional. No trees, single story home. Been reading about the terk and the silver sensor...any recommendations?? From what I understood about the response, if I get a terk or silver sensor, I can sit it on top of my tv, plug it into the back of my 811 via the 8vsb and access the hd ota signals through my satellite???

Thanks for the feedback!!!

The small multi-directional antenna needs given to you by antennaweb can often be met by small indoor antennas. You may, however need a larger outdoor antenna due to things antennaweb cannot account for such as the construction of your house/apartment building, nearby buildings, trees, power lines etc.

I would suggest purchasing an indoor VHF/UHF TV antenna from a local retailer with a good return policy. That way if the antenna is insufficient for your location you can return it. I suggest staying away from the Terk antennas. I have seen reports of $100 Terk antennas being outperformed by a $5 set of rabbit ears.

Once you have an antenna hooked up don't forget to go through the setup process for local channels. Instructions in your manual pgs 28-29.

max_jack said:
... I can sit it on top of my tv, plug it into the back of my 811 via the 8vsb and access the hd ota signals through my satellite??? ...
Kent's giving you good stuff. Just a note of clarity to avoid confusion: you do not have a satellite. You have a satellite dish, and a satellite receiver.

Your receiver also has the ability to decode OTA signals and send them to your TV.

Thanks! Will buy an indoor antenna this afternoon and give it a try. Thanks for all your help!!

Couldn't find the silver sensor, so I ordered it from buy.com. Bought a terk just to see if I could hook it up - could only get one channel. Will return it when the silver sensor gets in the end of the week. Thanks again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)