Newbie comments/questions

nmguy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Albuquerque
After having Comcast for 25 years, last week we switched to Dish. Dish is doing a concentrated campaign in Albuquerque, bringing in installers and door-to-door sales people from other states. The sales person came at 2 and the equipment was installed by 5, alltogether they really had their act together. Problems were the installer didn't say it took overnight to load the program guide, which caused problems when trying to watch programs that evening. Also, the installer had to return because all channels said we had to pay for them, a Hopper hard reset fixed that. We have one Hopper and 3 Joeys, having 4 tvs and viewers in the house. Overall, it's really a totally different paradigm than Comcast and is a steep learning curve, but we are adapting and realizing how great this system is.

Some newbie questions...

--On the Joeys, user settings and folders are not replicated or viewable from the Hopper. Is this the way its supposed to work? If dvr shows are in a folder on the Hopper, you can't get to them on the Joeys unless they have not been moved. I think channel favorites may be the same way. Tried a Joey hard reset, no joy

--You can only have 3 or 4 favorites users/folders??? I'd like to have my video channels in one folder, and music channels in another, but having 4 users makes this impossible due to the limitation.

--Default recording specs are start 1 minute before and run to 4 minutes after, is there any way to change that default? It causes problems with consecutive shows, beginning and end are in the wrong recordings. I really get tired of having to change that for every show I record.

If you have 4 TVs and 4 people watching I would strongly advise to swap out one of those Joeys for a second Hopper. The difference in monthly cost is $5 and saves a ton of conflicts.

Better move quick on that. I'm sure a new new customer might get cut a better break than an older one.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

How do I contact DIRT? Do I pm a username? Is there an advantage to contacting DIRT over calling? When I called the 800 number on day of install was only on hold a few minutes and they had the installer call me right back. Thanks guys!

Looks like pm is not working, I've sent messages to two DIRT members, I don't get an error but nothing is in the sent folder.

I'm on the way to becoming a 2 hopper 2 joey household. Can one hopper be utilized from the other? Any gotcha's involved with 2 hoppers?

Looks like pm is not working, I've sent messages to two DIRT members, I don't get an error but nothing is in the sent folder.
Is your profile set to save sent PMs? Seems like mine wasn't originally and I had to change it. Been a while though, could be confused.

One Hopper's recordings can be seen from the 2nd Hopper. One Hopper cannot set recordings or make changes to the setup of the other Hopper, however, or see an EHD connected to the other Hopper. Joeys can set timers at either Hopper.

I'm on the way to becoming a 2 hopper 2 joey household. Can one hopper be utilized from the other? Any gotcha's involved with 2 hoppers?

If you haven't considered this already then I would suggest getting at least one Hopper with Sling + Hopper and 2 joeys. The Sling feature is very nice to have and you may be able to swing it at no extra cost.

Our current Hopper has Sling built-in, it actually works very well, I can watch a program or recording on the iPad with headphones while the better half has control of the TV. Installers are coming this afternoon to bring the 2nd Hopper, which is an extra $5 per month and $15 install fee. DIRT said since its within 10 days of initial Dish install they are waiving a $200 Hopper cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)