Newbie(Dumb) Question I am sure!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

imgenx68

Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
This is probably so simple it should be outlawed :)
I want to get 4 different satellites on one dish.
I have a dish that will do this ....
I only have 2 receivers, what do I need?
I know I need 4 dual lnb's ..Have em!
But what type of switches ?
I have a legacy system...
Please advise!
Thanks!

welcome to the site imgenx68. glad to have you.

i am going to move this to the dish network area. you will get more looks there.

remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question.

Hi welcome to the sight :) the easyest thing would be to get a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch and upgrade your LNB's (the eyes of the dish to Dish pro LNB's) A dpp 44 switch will work your legacy system and get you 4 orbital locations. This upgrade will cost you around 200 bucks though.... Thats the easyest way. :)

Thanks for all the help Guys....
All the reading I had looked at said a SW64 ....
But I always thought a DP44 would not work with legacy...
Like I said I have the dish for this I have seen some pretty funky setups :)
Cost isn't such a big deal as long as I can do it....
Thanks AGAIN!

If you use the DPP44 you'll also need some adaptors. I have some adaptors and DP duals if you're interested let me know.

OK, guys. Think it through.

He's got LEGACY LNBs. So a SW64 plus a SW21 per tuner (up to two) does the job.

If it was DishPro, it's a DP34 plus DP21 per tuner (or a DPP44 if you're rich ;) ).

If you need the fourth bird on more than two tuners, you have just discovered one of the only reasons they made the DishPro Splitter. :)

What SS said. imgenx68, what are your receivers? Some of the older legacy models (x000, D-VHS, 7x00) don't recognize the SW64/SW21 cascade.

Thanks again All!
I have a 2700 and 3100....
I see that the SW64 needs power... I can here my wife now yelling at all the cables :)
And I would need 2 -SW21's for the 2 receivers right?

also if I stick to just 3 satellites and 2 receivers.....
I could just use 3 sw21's couldn't I?
Of course I just saw that DPP44 and I heard the Tim the toolman music :)

So I will ask again to see if someone can help with question...
If I use my dish to pick up 3 satellites instead of 4 can I use just sw21's?
I know if I had 2 dishes I could.....
But what just one dish?
THANKS!

imgenx68 said:
also if I stick to just 3 satellites and 2 receivers.....
I could just use 3 sw21's couldn't I?
Of course I just saw that DPP44 and I heard the Tim the toolman music :)
No - you can NOT cascade SW-21s with each other. There IS something called an SW-21X that can be used.

The number of dish pans is NOT relevant. The number of separate LNBs IS.

A very common setup is a Legacy Twin (for 110/119) into SW-21s with a Legacy Dual for the "wing".

A Legacy Twin is functionally equivalent to a pair of Legacy Duals hitched to a SW-42. The SW-21x is half of a SW-42, and responds to the 42's command set, which is why it can be used with a SW-21.

We still have not gotten the answer about what dish he has. First it has 4 separate sat locations. Which dish has never made. then 3 satalite locations. and the only one which comes to mind based on the age of his system is a starband dish which would require a SW 64 from the start. Or is this a 500 with 2 leg duels. hence 4 wires coming from the dish. before anyone can give some concrete advise we need to know this.

Okay I will try this for mikethedishguy....

I have an eliptical dish that I want to setup either with 4 dual lnb's to get 82,91,110,119 sats.
OR if 82 is just out of the question ( I have decided I don't need it for know, no HD tv....YET!)
Just 91,110 and 119 will do.
I REALLY only need this on 1 TV but ....
If 2 TV's isn't to big of a deal I would try that...
Is this clearer ?
THANKS

imgenx68 said:
Okay I will try this for mikethedishguy....

I have an eliptical dish that I want to setup either with 4 dual lnb's to get 82,91,110,119 sats.
OR if 82 is just out of the question ( I have decided I don't need it for know, no HD tv....YET!)
Just 91,110 and 119 will do.
I REALLY only need this on 1 TV but ....
If 2 TV's isn't to big of a deal I would try that...
Is this clearer ?
THANKS
Now I'm REALLY confused. 82 & 91 are ExpressVu, 110 & 119 are Dish.

You can NOT use both of those pairs on the same receiver.

As I understand the previous posts. you have a SW64 with a dish which is able to capture 4 sat locations. The SW64 will except signals from 3 sat locations. It will need external power via a power inserter placed into input 1 line usually near the reciever. It will except up to 4 sat recievers. Each of the dish duels will need 2 lines run to the SW64 used for the "odds and evens" . I have cascaded a SW21 into a SW64 but dish doesent recomend it. This means put a SW 21 between the reciever and the SW64. A seperate line should be run from the power inserter to input 1 and the recievers w the SW21 put into input 2-4. Both recievers will work.

I do have some questions about the Sat locations you are trying to capture. Dish has never used 82 or 91 for any of there signals. If you are trying to capture 105 or 121 these are FSS signal and will not work with DBS type duel. There are some threads that have brought up the topic of 4 sat locations from 1 dish But they were using a superdish and 129,121,119,110 were the sat locations

You are going to need both recievers. One for Canada the other for US. The soft ware in the recievers will only allow 82,91 or the US-E*. However if the dish will recieve signal from all 4 slots with sufficent strengh then it will work. I dont think we need to know how you will get the recievers activated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)