Newbie DVR question

siuc1996

Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
T
Right now we have a 211 and a 612 setup in our house. Last night I was recording Lost and we were having some pretty bad storms. The 211 kept losing signal so I figured the 612 recording Lost would have not gotten the whole show. But I went to check my recordings and it looks like it got the whole thing. Can one receiver lose connection to the satellite while another not? I'm sure it's a simple question for all the experts but I find it odd if that were the case.

I don't think it's possible either. If you are expecting the DVR to show 50 minutes recorded instead of 60, it may be lying to you. There is a thought somewhere in my memory that I may have seen this happen before on my DVR. Try watching the recording and see if the screen saying: "Part of this recording has been lost" shows up. And if it does, make sure you realize the irony of the situation . . . the show was called Lost. . .

Ha. Great irony there. I fast forwarded through the entire show and I didn't see anything "Lost" as it were. And there were long stretches throughout the night where the 211 lost connection. The 612 is in the bedroom right next to where the dish is located so maybe that's why the connection is stronger? That would explain perhaps why the connection didn't go down on that receiver? So distance from the actual dish plays a big factor during storms on whether or not you lose connection to the satellite? Still learning here.

especially if your install isn't using the best quality coax. I've seen installs where they didn't use RG-6 and one room would work fine and the one right next door wouldn't. Also, the connection at the ground block might be a little loose and is letting water in...

I don't think it's possible either. If you are expecting the DVR to show 50 minutes recorded instead of 60, it may be lying to you. There is a thought somewhere in my memory that I may have seen this happen before on my DVR. Try watching the recording and see if the screen saying: "Part of this recording has been lost" shows up. And if it does, make sure you realize the irony of the situation . . . the show was called Lost. . .
That happened to me during last nights Penguins game. Was watching the game with a 1.5 hour buffer, so the game was recording while I was watching. A very heavy rain storm rolled in and the screen went to black/Transponder check screen. I could not get the recording to start again. After the rain passed, I started the recording and fast forwarded to where the I was cut off. Score was 3-0 in the second period. The recording hiccuped and the score was 4-1, just like that. Lost about 10 minutes of the game with little warning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)