Newbie equip. protection question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin803

Active SatelliteGuys Member
May 14, 2005
When my central air kicks on my lights dim very briefly. Should this be a concern as far as hurting my A/V equipment? I am mainly concerned about my Toshiba 65" RPTV and Onkyo 601 receiver.

Is their a UPS or power surge protecter that I could get for less than $100 that would help protect my equipment?

Yeah, I would recommend a UPS - Uninterruptable Power Supply (or Battery Backup) It will kick in on under AND overvoltage occurances.

I am running 2 seperate 750 watt UPS's for my computer equipment alone. But I can work up to 30 minutes after the power goes out. But that is another topic...

If you can read the manuals(specs) and see what the power consumption is...

I'm guessimating roughly 200 watts for the Toshiba and 300-400 watts Max for the Onkyo...

You would need a 650-750 watt UPS. This is out of your price range at $150.00 and up though.

The surge strip with the cable/sat/phone is your best bet like was posted above. It will at least help from the surge that feeds back from the capacitor charge in your AC and offer you some lightning protection too. Most good strip companies have a $25,000 guarantee on them, so if lightning does fry your equipment, they will pay to have it replaced. Tripp-Lite replaced my computer and their UPS when lightning went thru both a few years back.

If you want sticker shock... Look in to Richard Gray's Power Company. I was looking for a line conditioner and thought that the 'SUBSTATION' would be my best bet... :shocked Not at $2995.00!

My power is so flakey, I can tell when my neighbor runs her dryer or her AC kicks on since we are on the same transformer.

Anywho... Get something... anything... to protect your home theater equipment! Don't wait to long!

Just use 2 small ones (UPS). I have 1 300W APC and 1 500W Belkin for my H/T setup, got them on sale at Office Depot for less than $100 after rebates, they work great. The Belkin even has AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

NightRyder

merlin803 said:
Would this one be sufficient for my RPTV and Audio receiver?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3371538

Also, if I have a 650W audio receiver, does that mean it would take at least a 650W UPS to protect it?

That looks fine to me. The 650W figure for your A/V receiver is probably its rated peak audio output, the maximum current draw (input) is much less. Unless you have a very large A/V system the UPS you found should work just fine.

NightRyder

merlin803 said:
Would a UPS be better for me than a power conditioner?

A UPS with AVR will be a lot cheaper, and that's what I would go with. I know some swear by power conditioners, but until someone shows me a positive blind A/B study I'll remain sceptically, to me they belong in the same category as $1K speaker cables. If you want to try one be sure to purchase where you can return it.

NightRyder

Like NR said... UPS.

If money is no object, then line conditioner and UPS.

Really a line conditioner just gives you a cleaner 60 cycle 110-120v output.

By itself, a line conditioner won't help under voltage problems(brownouts) that your original question detailed.

Get a UPS.. Save your money.. When you upgrade to higher end electronics and can afford something better, then look into power conditioners.

As a matter 'o fact, I have to get a new battery for one of my UPS's. I discovered yesterday it won't hold a charge for more than a few minutes. Or get a new UPS. Not bad for 5 years of 24/7 service. :D

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a APC BN1050 from Costco for $95. It is rated at 1050VA and 630 watts & has AVR, so hopefully it will fit what I need.

You guys have not quite gotton rid of me just yet :)

I have a couple of questions:

1. There are two "surge only" (non-backup) outlets on the UPS. Would these be AVR protected? (especially concerned about brown outs...)

2. There is a "Voltage & sensitivity adjustment" control with a low (input voltage range 78-142 vac), medium (input voltage range 83-139 vac)and high setting(input voltage range 88-136 vac).

Which would be better for my A/V equipment? The notes say high setting is for "connected equipment is sensitive to voltage fluctuations".

merlin803 said:
You guys have not quite gotton rid of me just yet :)

I have a couple of questions:

1. There are two "surge only" (non-backup) outlets on the UPS. Would these be AVR protected? (especially concerned about brown outs...)

2. There is a "Voltage & sensitivity adjustment" control with a low (input voltage range 78-142 vac), medium (input voltage range 83-139 vac)and high setting(input voltage range 88-136 vac).

Which would be better for my A/V equipment? The notes say high setting is for "connected equipment is sensitive to voltage fluctuations".

1. Generally no.

2. I would choose the high setting.

NightRyder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Loewens July Schedule

Sony and Toshiba fail to reach agreement on unified next-gen disc format

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)