Newbie Flummoxed

salty dawg

Original poster
May 3, 2008
Hello, all. I'm new to the wonderful world of do-it-yourself Dish, and am having a wierd experience, at least to a rank amateur. Some background: we are part-time campers who presently have Direct TV in our camper, and are paying monthly whether we're using it or not. I want to say 'bye to Direct and take one of our home Dish receivers and portable antenna with us in the future. A dry run at home with a one-year-old receiver (DishPro logo on the back), a used Dish 500 dish with DP quad LNBs, RG-6 coax, aimed and getting good signals on 110 and 119. The problem is, I can't get 119 programming. When I aimed the dish, I got locked on to 110 with a green progress bar, and on 119 I keep getting a brown(?) progress bar, also with a good signal. I have tried using a tin foil cap to move the lock to 119, have run check switch and reset the box numerous times, all with the same result, it stays on 110. Check switch results keep coming back input 1 = 110, polarity all, device quad; input 2 = CONN, polarity X, device quad. When I cover the 110 LNB with tin foil, nothing changes. If I cover the 119 LNB I lose signals for both 110 and 119. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I bought the dish satellite & LNBs used from a satellite service guy, so I don't know if they're good or not. Is there any way to test the LNBs? The receiver came out of my wife's office, so I know it works OK.

If you are showing 110 on input 1, you are most likely pointed too high and too far south, drop the elevation down a few degrees and aim a little more to the right

Success! I got a Radio Shack meter, cleared checkswitch & found 119 first, everything else fell into place. I'm so used to finding Direct TV thru eyeballing I thought Dish would be as easy. I guess after I set it up & aim it a few times on the road it will get easier. Thanks all for your help! Chainblu, it was as you said, just a really small sweet spot to find by using signal strength tone from the Dish receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)