Newbie here & Switching to Dish

htrmommy

Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
NH
Hi all, been a long time customer of Direct. Decided to finally switch to Dish as our equipment is so very very very old that it takes almost a minute to switch or punch in a show. Upon calls ect they just wont upgrade our equipment. I am fine with that. We are not under contract.
Being a long time lurker here, IMHO, you site is straight to the point and right on. Coo-dos to you all! I would like some assistance in my need to switch.

2 tvs we have. (may upgrade one more in another 6 months) (2 joeys=7x2=14)
Want sling( does this come in a hopper? or is this extra?) (hopper 12)
Have a friends referral and got the email with code. (9$50 off first month for me and 5/mo for them)
Lastly, only want 120 package. (29.99/1st yr than 49.99/ 2nd yr)

Of coarse the fluff...
Free install
3 months of prem. movie channels

First year oop 55.99/mo than 75.99 2nd year

What type of receiver do I need?
How do I get the sling, additional cost? (my friend has a 202 box and has another separate box that's the sling)
I read many other inquiries here and stated NOT to contact Dish directly (whether phone or email) use DIRT here instead with the referral code, is that still true?
What other freebies am I missing or can I get to add to this? I understand this is the time to ask away.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to you all!

The Hopper is the receiver, and it will include the Sling. Each Joey simply uses a tuner from the Hopper. (Or it can access anything recorded on the Hopper hardrive) Not counting the PTAT feature that records all four networks at one time on one tuner, keep in mind if both Joeys are being used at the same time to watch different live programming, the Hopper will have one tuner left. (Unless you also get the antenna module and use an outside antenna then you would have an additional tuner) The point is the Joey does not have tuners, it uses everything off the Hopper.

I think your figures are correct. One other thing, do you mean 120 or 120+? 120 does not include your local sports and you can not add the sports package, 120+ does include your local sports.

I think most will tell you (as I am) to either contact your local dealer especially if they seem good, OR contact DIRT here.

I would make sure the install specifically states you want the Hopper with sling so that they don't try to install the older Hopper 2000 which does not have sling. Maybe they don't still setup the older models on new installs but I would want them to verify before hand what they are installing.

If you enjoy commercial as much as I do, you will learn to skip them by recording shows before you watch them.
so if a show starts at 9 o'clock I will record it and not start watching until at least 9:20. That will allow me to skip all the commercials. It therefore allows me to watch a typical selection of 3 one hour shows in two hours. This of course doesn't always work on channels like HBO or perhaps some sports where you choose to be up to the minute.

the point here is if there are two or more viewers, especially if one is a wife, you may want two Hoppers (6 tuners).

If you enjoy commercial as much as I do, you will learn to skip them by recording shows before you watch them.
so if a show starts at 9 o'clock I will record it and not start watching until at least 9:20. That will allow me to skip all the commercials. It therefore allows me to watch a typical selection of 3 one hour shows in two hours. This of course doesn't always work on channels like HBO or perhaps some sports where you choose to be up to the minute.

the point here is if there are two or more viewers, especially if one is a wife, you may want two Hoppers (6 tuners).
One Hopper and Joey is more than adequate for two people. The price increase some folks may need to consider, before going with two Hoppers which may not be needed.

When I temporarily switched my wife to "my" Hopper during our transition to 2 HWS it did not take long for her to start yelling at me. The recordings I had scheduled turned off her show just before the punch line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)