Newbie: I have TiVo - what's the best DirectTV Option?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bimplebean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
Los Angeles
I currently have a Tivo Series 2 with Digital Cable and want to go satellite.

I originally thought Dish with the new 522 PVR but read the forums on that and thought better of it. (Too many glitches. I *love* my Tivo!)

Now I'm thinking one of two options:

Option 1: My current Tivo with a plain DirectTV receiver. My only requirement is a receiver with a compatible serial port so my Tivo can change its channels, or

Option 2: DirectTivo - then sell my existing Tivo.

I like #1 'cause it's simple and cheap and I already have Home Media set up on my current Tivo and it's working like a dream.

... but I long for #2 because of the better quality direct-to-digital recording and dual tuner, etc.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Can I get an 80gb DirectTivo that works w. Home Media? That'd be best.

Please advise, and thanks in advance!

Bimplebean

The Best Compromise...

I just went to ValueElectronics.com (I'm not a shill, I followed the link!) They set me up with an R10 DirecTivo. As a new customer it'll cost me $50 after rebate.

I don't get Home Media, but frankly I can live without it. I can go back to dialup to get program updates. But dual tuner, direct-to-digital recording? I'm there.

I can then sell my existing Tivo. Very cool.

Thanks guys! :D

You'll love it. I went from a S1 Tivo + Digital Cable to a Dish 522 (which, as you correctly surmised, was horrible, except for the PIP.) then to DirecTV with an R10.

Going from single tuner TiVo to double tuner TiVo was heaven.

Just be sure to change "Guide Style" from "Grid" to "List" to get the classic TiVo guide back.

Just press TiVo-0 before you go. No cute TiVo animation with the R10.

H

bimplebean said:
I just went to ValueElectronics.com (I'm not a shill, I followed the link!) They set me up with an R10 DirecTivo. As a new customer it'll cost me $50 after rebate.

I don't get Home Media, but frankly I can live without it. I can go back to dialup to get program updates. But dual tuner, direct-to-digital recording? I'm there.

I can then sell my existing Tivo. Very cool.

Thanks guys! :D
You know if you DO want the Home media option is is out there to be had. You cannot do it on the R10 but the older generations support 4.0 with HMO just fine. I actually have a 120GB unit for sale if you are interested, PM me.

Sell your SA tivo and get another hard drive to upgrade your DTivo.

I think we will see an HMO type feature come later this year. This is my prediction.

Thanks for all the input

HMO is not that important to me. It came in handy at the Christmas party, that's all. [g] Although the TivoToGo would be nice, but I hear that's not entirely ready for prime time either.

There are USB ports on the back of the R10. I'm hoping they'll be turned on RSN.

The best part is - DTV + DSL save me about $30 a month over digital cable with internet, with dual tuner full digital recording, *plus* I can cancel my S2 Tivo Service and save another $13/month. I get to hook up new gear, get more features AND save money. It don't get no better dan dat. :D

And a special thanks went out to the folks in the 522 forum who clued me in on how awful that box was. I had an ORDER in that I canceled. THAT was close.

("Remember the great folk music scare of the Sixties? THAT was close. That crap nearly caught on!" - Martin Mull, 1975)

I just made the same switch (except I had a series 1, and no HMO), and I've gotta say the dulal tuner ROCKS. It's well worth the $50. Plus I sold my old TiVo (with extra hard drive and lifetime subscripton) on ebay for close to $300.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)