Newbie in New Orleans

blaqmoon

Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Actually im right outside of NOLA. My zip is 70068 and I decided to get Dish, which I love. Now I want to get OTA from out of New Orleans in HD but most of the stuff I read on here is greek to me. My wife is against an outdoor antenna, so its going to have to be in the attic, still trying to have her give in. Any suggestions and ideas are welcome. Also I'm not too good at installing so please keep that in mind also. Thanks in advance.

Hello, La Place, Algiers here.

You are about 30 miles from the transmitting towers. If you have a large attic, you might get some reception with a large antenna. You really need a rooftop antenna. You can get by today with a UHF only, which will be somewhat smaller. Get the measurements of a CM4228 and see if it will fit in the attic. Maybe.

Plan B: Dish network will provide 10 NOLA local stations to you if you subscribe to them and their locals package. But that puts a dish or 2 on the roof or somewhere, which I gather you have cleared thru the boss. And it's not HD yet. Some UHF antennas might pass muster as less visible than VHF/UHF combos.

Last edited:
Hi Blaqmoon,

I'm near navychop on the westbank, and I tried the in-attic senario and it didn't work well at all.... Trust me, you need a rooftop antenna to get good reception. (And you need to keep your fingers crossed that some of the stations get their act together!) Since we had the storm last year, a few of the stations seem to have moved transmitters making it oh so fun to point your antenna. The good news is that if you are in Laplace you should only need an antenna and not a rotor. I use a channel master stealth that I bought at a local home improvement store. It didn't look like the old style antenna, so the household CEO gave it her approval..:)

Good luck, and let me know which antenna you end up with and how it works.

I'm in slidell. I put a cm 4228 in my attic and I was getting most of the digital locals with a 65-85% signal. I just added a cm 7777 pre amp and my signals are now 90-100%. Its not hard to mount, just mount a pole, I got my pole and mounts at Lowe's, and go to anntenaweb.org and see what direction to point it. THen just run a rg6 cable to your receiver.

Once you get it hooked up, go to the menu, system setup, locals, then add locals, and it will pick up the channels you can receive and save them to your guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)