Newbie issues

gluck

Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
I am a novice in the dish install department and have some questions regarding the dish. I have two dishes - 500 and 300. The 300 uses 119 for local programming and 500 uses 148 for international channels.
I have been with dishnetwork for some time now and my contract has expired. For any service request Dish wants me renew another 18 months else charges an arm and leg so I installed the dish myself when I moved to this new place. I have two receivers and have two connections from my dish to the receivers via the sw-21 switch. I to add another receiver and after reading online bought a DP-34 switch. The problem is that when I hook up my dish via the switch only one receiver gets the signal. The others don't work.
I have one Digital LNB for both the 300 and 500 dish. Do I need a dual LNB for the DP switch to work? or is there something else that is wrong with the dish?

The second issue: Recently dish has started adding new channels on 61.5 and I can't get those on 148. My dish isn't on the roof so I can't get the signal from the satellite at 61.5.

A simple solution is just calling a dish guy and get the dish hooked up on the roof. He will also resolve the DP-34 issue. I think it will be like between $100-200. (I am in riverside county, ca)

Another possible solution could be that if some here helps me out with the DP-34 issue and then I can buy a dish500 plus which will enable me to get 118.7 which also carries the international channels. If I get the dish500 plus I can just use one dish and get local/international and hd channels. Is that true? Also can I use a dp34 with it.

Sorry about the long post. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
gluck

Your problem with the DP-34 is probably that you are using the wrong type of LNB. You have to use DishPro LNB's with a DP-34. If you were using SW-21's before then you have Legacy LNB's. You can tell if it is a DishPro LNB because it will have a big DP on the LNB.

The Dish 500+ should get you all your programing, and will work with your DP-34.

Your problem with the DP-34 is probably that you are using the wrong type of LNB. You have to use DishPro LNB's with a DP-34. If you were using SW-21's before then you have Legacy LNB's. You can tell if it is a DishPro LNB because it will have a big DP on the LNB.

The Dish 500+ should get you all your programing, and will work with your DP-34.

I don't have the DP symbol on the LNB so this means I need new LNB's in order to make my DP-34 work.

Now for the Dish 500+ - should I just get the repoint kit or should I get the whole set - dish + LNB. I think it is $129.

The repoint kit is only for superdishes. 118.7 is a FSS bird and needs a different LNB. The DP34 is what you need with the 500+ however. If you really need 118.7 then get the 500+. If not just get a dish 1000.2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)