Newbie looking to get NASA on my PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kuranes

Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get started in FTA. I'm really want to watch NASA's live feeds.

So far from reading over the forums it seems that the two main cards for PC's are the SkyStar HD 2 and the AzureWave AD-SE200 Twinhan 1028 Satellite HDTV PCI Card. Pros and cons anyone? Also I have a quad core PC running Vista 64 bit. Last but not least could I pick up NASA's feeds off an 18" dish or should I start off with a 30". I do not have room on my property for a 6' dish. I used to love watching NASA's channels while visiting family in Houston. I am insanely excited that I might be able to do this as well through my PC. Of course while I'm at it I will check out what else I can watch, however NASA is my primary goal for now. Thanks!

I also found this one to add to the list: Technotrend S2-3200 Mpeg4 DVB-S PCI Satellite Tuner.

Anyone knowing anything about any of this, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

NASA needs a BUD

NASA TV's direct signals are only available on C-band, so you will need at least an 8 foot dish to get this.

The signal is also found on Dish Network in "FTA" mode, which can be received on a Dish-type dish (circular polarty) but the quality is not as good.

--Gary

are we there, yet?

gDavis really nailed it. So ... do you have it working, yet? ;)

Well, since you can't put in an 8 foot dish for the multi-channel C-band feeds...
... that leaves you with the 119º Ku-band solution.
There's just the one channel, and the picture is 544x480, but you'll still get the same thrill.
I watched the two Mars Rovers land a few years ago, and the hair on the back of my neck is still standing up! - :eek:

ANY of the PCI cards, or ANY of the USB boxes should all work fine.
Any of the software packages should work for this application.
Go dumpster-diving for any 18..22" dish removed from service.
Doesn't matter if it's Dish or DirecTV, you can make it work for this.
Just read us what's on it, and/or post some pictures. ;)

119º west
11250 Local Oscillator
Circular polarized

It's a strong signal, and easy to locate in the sky.
If this is your only goal, it's easily realized.

And here's a good post by IceBerg with a bit more info on the same subject.

edit: but since I suspect you'll grow beyond just NASA, maybe I should suggest you get any of the well-supported stand-alone FTA receivers, instead of a computer card.
Then with the addition of a diseqc switch, 36" dish, and an LNB, you could watch additional programming on Galaxy 10R (123º W).
NASA isn't hard to get on a computer card, but growing into the realm of FTA without a stand alone receiver is.

Last edited:
If you really want to use your computer as a receiver, the Skystar2 will do it for you. You can use dvbdream and you will be good to go. I have an old DN dish pointing at 119W for the Nasa channel and a 36 inch dish with a motor that mostly points at 97W but I move it around some. The Skystar2 works very well for this it is just a bit of work to get it set up, but that is the fun part.

Pointing a Dish with a HH motor can be a pain with a Skystar 2 card. I aligned the dish the best I could, told it to point at 119W (switched to an old direct tv circular LNB) which is easy to find (has a very strong signal) and got it tuned in. Then I switched to my linear LNB and told it to point to 97W and moved it slightly until I got a good signal. I just got and need to install a Invacom LNB which can receive Circular & Linear so I will be setting it up soon and will no longer need the DN dish as the 36" with Invacom LNB will do it all.

Best of Luck

Thanks for all the replys guys! It will be may before I'm able to put up a dish, but all this information helps greatly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts