This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Newbie needs help and info

agilebda

Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Hello guys, I am new to the forum.

I am in the process of hooking up my new home with Dish Net. I managed to buy a channel master 6ft dish.

I need info and help on selecting receivers for my system. I see that there are new Joey/ hopper receivers out now. I have no clue as to what their features are and how to choose a receiver.
I want to rig 5rooms with dishnet. It would probably be easier to call dishnet to setup but I do not live in the USA. I am in a close by Caribbean Island where I can get a signal.

I want to subscribe for the full package of channels when I am up and running.
I have also seen quad and triple LNB's. How beneficial would this be for me as I love sports and movies? How many receivers do I need in total?

Regards,

Toni

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure about the dish antenna you are using or what LNB you will need but if this is a new home then you want to make sure you have two coax cables run to each place you would want TV. One cable is fine but two just helps a lot.

I see you have 5 rooms but it would be helpful to know how many people will be watching TV in the house.

The Hopper system is the latest and the greatest but is also the most expensive. The DVR fee for the Hopper is $12 a month and each Joey is $7 a month. If you want to be able to watch something different in HD in each room then I would suggest 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. You could go with 1 Hopper, 1 Super Joey and 3 Joeys. I'm sure you have no idea what any of this is but once we get some more details from you we can explain better.

Thanks Scherrman,

I totally understand now. I follow you. I went to a local merchant and he explained everything to me. I think that I will go with the two hoppers and three joeys. I have found some on ebay for good prices.

What is the super Joey and where can I find to purchase?

Thanks for everything thus far.

The Super Joey operates exactly like a Joey but it adds 2 more tuners to the Hopper. You can not add a Super Joey to a 2 Hopper account currently. So a Hopper with Super Joey would total 5 tuners and two Hoppers would total 6 tuners. The Super Joey has a fee of $10 per month and a second Hopper has a fee of $12 per month.

If you want to purchase the Super Joey you may be able to find them online or just find a retailer. I believe they sell for $149.

Hi guys thanks for all the info. Someone tried to sell me the 722k and the 222. I just wanted to check with you all. I think that I want to go modern so the Hopper and super/Joeys will be my choice.
Do I have to hook up a phone line to these receivers? How does this work?

Is there a reason that you want to purchase the equipment? Your monthly charges will be the same if you have Dish provide the equipment for you. The benefit to purchasing is that you can have one or more of the boxes deactivated and save the fee and not have to return anything; then activate them when you need them again. For example, if it's in a guest room that is only used occasionally.

If you purchase Hoppers and Joeys, do you have to commit to a 2 year agreement?

If I rent one box for $12 per month it will cost me $144 per year. That is just one box. Imagine renting three boxes for three years. It will be cheaper in the long haul to just purchase outright.

If I rent one box for $12 per month it will cost me $144 per year. That is just one box. Imagine renting three boxes for three years. It will be cheaper in the long haul to just purchase outright.

It doesn't work that way. You pay the same amount per receiver monthly whether it's owned or leased. The first receiver is included in the package price. Any additional receivers after that cost the same monthly, whether you own them or Dish owns them.

Oh I see. Thanks for the clarification. However I am not located in the USA. I am located on a nearby Caribbean Island that's why I will not have Dishnet technicians to me residence to setup. I am just getting all my ducks in a row before activating my receivers.

That's a good reason for purchasing the receivers.

Good luck.

Maybe next time we should ask one their service location before taking for the ride.

He was quite upfront in his original post. Maybe we should read his posts better.....

Yes, sorry, "I am in a close by Caribbean Island ", I thought he meant closet.

But isnt that illegal?

[QUOTE=agilebda] If I rent one box for $12 per month it will cost me $144 per year. That is just one box. Imagine renting three boxes for three years. It will be cheaper in the long haul to just purchase outright. [/QUOTE]

He was quite upfront in his original post. Maybe we should read his posts better.....

If you'll notice I was clarifying that the cost of leased and owned receivers is the same monthly. Maybe we should all read the posts better.

Last edited: