Newbie Question. 811 input to Denon A/V Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lborges

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Considering 811. Current 301 inputs into Denon 1804 A/V receiver then to GWIII Television via A/V receiver component video output. Can I do the same with the 811? i.e. Component output from 811 to component input on Denon, then component output from Denon to component input on GWIII. I will not be using the speakers on the GWIII.

Thanks for any help offered.

I'm not trying to flame here, but I think I'm a bit confused with how you are setting this up. Why are you going into the receiver, if you can go straight 811 or 301 into the GWIII? Am I missing something?

lborges said:
Considering 811. Current 301 inputs into Denon 1804 A/V receiver then to GWIII Television via A/V receiver component video output. Can I do the same with the 811? i.e. Component output from 811 to component input on Denon, then component output from Denon to component input on GWIII. I will not be using the speakers on the GWIII.

Thanks for any help offered.

His reciever has video component switching. He does not need to change video inputs on the tv when switching between DVD, DBS and anything else he might have. Helps with non video poeple using the equpiment, wife and relatives.

Ah! I see. Does that offer the potential to lose signal that way? My Yamaha also has several compenent Ins, and I just never thought to hook it up that way.

Component switching has only been out about a year, on high end recievers $1k and more. You probably have composite switching, the worst. He could get much better signal by hooking up the DVI connection if his TV supoorted it. You will always get your best signal by going to your TV without routing it thru anything else, but if you spend $10k on a home theatre and your family can't operate it then you have to make sacrafices.

mfino said:
Ah! I see. Does that offer the potential to lose signal that way? My Yamaha also has several compenent Ins, and I just never thought to hook it up that way.
Video signal is degraded, but some would rather have the convenience. It is not any more convenient for those with programable remotes, though.

Picture quality

The picture quality when using component switching on an a/v receiver is dependent on the bandwidth. Check out Denon's website and you find that the bandwidth for the 1804 is 30MHz. Look at one of the more expensive models e.g. 3803 and the bandwidth is up to 100MHz. The 4802R specifically mentions 480p, 720p & 1080i in association with DTV at 50MHz bandwidth. So the bigger the bandwidth, the less degradation of the signal.

Just how much will the picture quality degrade? WIll it still be acceptable?

lborges said:
Just how much will the picture quality degrade? WIll it still be acceptable?

It depends on the receiver and bandwidth of the video path. On my 49TX it is not noticeable, even scoped. Direct is always better but I switch 3 HD sources, and high bandwidth switching is a godsend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)