Newbie question (begining the quest to OTA-HD)

NDman

Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
Hello,

We wanted to give the OTA a try with our TV. I've been plowing through lots of webpage and finally come across this one that look very resourceful. We currently have a Sony projection HDTV (no ATSC tuner), in ZIP code 94303.

From what I've read, I need to get a HD setop box, which I can likely get from eBay, plus an antenna. First off, is my location even possible to attempt this? If so, what else do I need? I eventually landed on a clip at youtube about a home-made HD antenna, will that work, or I should get the Winegard antenna? Many many thanks ahead

The best place to learn about potential reception

If you go to AntennaWeb and enter your location it will suggest a type of antenna, a preliminary guess of what stations you can receive, and what direction to point the antenna for each station.

Good luck and have fun!

You should be in a digital OTA dream area in the San Jose/San Fran area. You could give the CM4228 a try. I see you have station located in a few different headings.

299° - 305°
62° - 65°

Antenna selection, setup and reception quality may depend on what all you want to get; everything, might lean toward a multiple antenna setup; but I am not 100% sure.

What kind of set-top box are you looking at? This is a great question to answer first.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

For the Set-top box, I honestly don't have any idea what is good for me and what is not. I've got some preliminary idea that the Samsung DTB-H260F seems to be pretty decent for the price.

And charper1, what did you mean with those degree numbers? <- Yes, another silly newbie question

Thanks a lot for the quick replies!

For the Set-top box, I honestly don't have any idea what is good for me and what is not. I've got some preliminary idea that the Samsung DTB-H260F seems to be pretty decent for the price.

And charper1, what did you mean with those degree numbers? <- Yes, another silly newbie question

For the STB, recommend you visit your local BestBuy. They usually carry Samsung HDTV Set Top Receivers and the one I saw in my local BB had S-Video and HDMI outputs, as well as the normal Composite video & R/L Stereo outputs.

I'm not charper1, but degree numbers are the true and magnetic bearing of the transmitter towers with respect to your location. For a newbie, forget the true bearing for now. True and magnetic north will vary depending upon your location. Acquire a good quality compass, then hold the compass away (>10 FT) from anything containing iron and see where the transmitter towers are located with respect to your residence i.e. point toward 300 magnetic. That's where you need to point your outdoor antenna - i.e., toward the magnetic bearing WRT your location.

Don't always rule out a Philips silver sensor table top HD antennae
Antennae web had 1-station that was RED for my location, and I received it with a 74-signal strength. You can get them under $20 shipped at Amazon, so its worth a try before you go with a big antenna, if antennaeweb shows it is even remotely possible.

Great advices. Thanks!

Now as far as preparation goes, what else do I need? Right now, I have absolutely nothing other than the TV. Do I actually need to subscribe to the cable first (DTV, Comcast, etc), and then add a switch/splitter and hookup the OTA stuff? Or the OTA is strictly for HD broadcast?

And where can I find some info about Dish/satellite stuff (i.e. how much am I looking at if I were to subscribe and setup, etc), too while we are at it? I'm glad to have found this place, really. Thanks

Thanks ciwsguy for getting the additional heading question.

As for the other:

The highly unidirectional nature of the Silver Senor (and similar) likely will not deliver the best results in markets where transmissions emit from multiple headings that more than a few degrees apart or unless the user is very near all the different locations. If all your transmission towers are at the same (are very near) the same heading; at no more than 30m or so, then it is a great antenna. Any farther and I would begin to look at outdoor only; and as said before if you have multi headings you might look into something more like an omnidirectional, or maybe even a two antenna setup for best results.

Great advices. Thanks!

Now as far as preparation goes, what else do I need? Right now, I have absolutely nothing other than the TV. Do I actually need to subscribe to the cable first (DTV, Comcast, etc), and then add a switch/splitter and hookup the OTA stuff? Or the OTA is strictly for HD broadcast?

And where can I find some info about Dish/satellite stuff (i.e. how much am I looking at if I were to subscribe and setup, etc), too while we are at it? I'm glad to have found this place, really. Thanks

If it were me; get your subscription to your DBS or cable done first. If you go DBS, depending on the model unit you get, it may have an ATSC tuner built-in (no need for a set-top) as this will be your set-top. If you happen to get the model that does not have the ATSC tuner, have no fear their add-on is coming out. I prefer the DBS method!

Then run dedicated RG6 from your OTA antenna.

You don't have to subscribe to anything to get HD programming, but you will need the HDTV set top box in your case if you want to get the HD free OTA. Though usually limited to prime-time slots and major sporting events, the major networks broadcast HD for free.

Your other option is to subscribe to a pay HD service. As for me - I'm cheap and refuse to pay for stuff that I can get for nothing. :)

Cool stuff! I just wanted to make sure before I proceed with any purchase. Basically, what I really wanted to find out is (yes, still sounding rather clueless, though I did some more reading over the weekend) that can an OTA setup grab some other local channels that I can use in lieu of subscribing (*ahem* paying) for cable? Is OTA only for HD only and the other channels (say Food, TLC, etc) need to be acquired through regular cable company?

Many many thanks again

Cool stuff! I just wanted to make sure before I proceed with any purchase. Basically, what I really wanted to find out is (yes, still sounding rather clueless, though I did some more reading over the weekend) that can an OTA setup grab some other local channels that I can use in lieu of subscribing (*ahem* paying) for cable? Is OTA only for HD only and the other channels (say Food, TLC, etc) need to be acquired through regular cable company?

Many many thanks again

OTA (over the air) HD is just your local channels, as shown on AntennaWeb when you punch in your address. Channels like Food, TLC, etc are only acquired through cable or dish subscriptions.

New TV Channel Coming Saturday 3-1-08 to Chicago

HDTV OTA Tuners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)