Newbie Question Here About Larger Dish

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I just signed up for Dish is Charleston South Carolina and it will be installed on 6-2. I noticed in my email That they were going to install a Dish 500. A few years ago in Alabama I had a Super Dish and hardly ever had any signal loss problems. I've been reading the site off and on and have seen a few brief notes about larger dishes for rain fade. How is the Dish 500 and if I did want to go with a Winegard(name I have seen thrown around here) how would I know which model to purchase?

thanks for the help.

The DISH 500 looks at 2 satellites with 1 dish you would have to buy two separate Winegard 24" dishes to get both 119 & 110 satellites with more gain than the 20" DISH 500. For a price I am sure DISH would install a Super Dish for you but seeing it looks at three satellites and usually performed worse than a DISH 500 you probably would not gain anything.

Ok. I have seen some installs for DirecTv that had two dishes on a pole aimed 2 ways, so I would have to set the winegards up like that. I'll wait and see how the 500 performs and then go from there. Not expecting any problems but was curious about the larger dishes.

If you go to 2, what dow you do about having only one LNB?

I'm in the Charleston area and have a Superdish. Mine is peaked pretty well and I some rain fade issues with thunderstorms. I've thought about putting up two 30" Winegards but haven't gotten around to it or justified spending the money yet. It's probably going to cost me around $200 shipped for the two dishes and two DP LNBF's. That's a hefty chunk of change to reduce (not eliminate) rainfade. If it seriously would reduce the rainfade I would do it but I'm not for sure so I'm on the fence.

I've also thought about using just a Dish 500 because they are suppose to get a better signal than the Superdish as Boba said. With that idea you could use tow Dish 500's with I-brackets. Both may yield a better bang for the buck.

Now I'm getting a headache again thinking about all of this. I guess that's why I haven't done anything with my Superdish yet. :rolleyes:

elwaylite said:
Ok. I have seen some installs for DirecTv that had two dishes on a pole aimed 2 ways, so I would have to set the winegards up like that. I'll wait and see how the 500 performs and then go from there. Not expecting any problems but was curious about the larger dishes.

If you go to 2, what dow you do about having only one LNB?
I forgot to mention that DirecTV does use two 18" dishes in our area since the locals are on their 72 ? satellite. Essentially, the Winegards would be set up in a similar fashion.

The current Dish 500 DP or DPP LNBF I'm fairly sure won't work on the Winegards. So you'll have to factor in purchasing two more LNBF's (probably DP). If you get a DPP LNBF with a built in switch. Then you'll need to purchase a switch to use with two separate dishes and LNBF's. You see how this adds up quickly.

I've given myself a headache again. :D

I would use the Dish 500 and see how it holds up to rain fade in our area. Once it's set up be sure to post your signals on the board here and we'll let you know if it needs to be peaked.

Yeah, I noticed the Direc dishes in my apartment complex in goose creek have 2 dishes and was curious why. I'll be sure to post my signals friday evening, the installer is supposed to be out 8-12 on Friday.

BTW, how is the dish reception in the Charleston area? I loved it when I lived in Mobile Alabama.

Remember guys the 105 superdish shouldnt be needed in that area any more as the LIL moved to 110... You should be pritty well off with a dish 500 and it should give you readings in the upper 100's with the exception of all those spots over at 110 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)