Newbie question re HD-DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cohenri

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
I have searched various posts and I have been able to piece together a decent understanding of the HD/DVR receivers, but I am still a little cloudy on a couple of items.

Here is what I understand (please correct any inaccuracies):

1. The H20 is an MPEG 4 High definition receiver which is better than MPEG-2 due to the ability to squeeze more content into the same signal.

2. The HR20-150 is the current HDDVR, but it is only MPEG 2 capable.

3. The HR20-250 is the soon to be released MPEG 4 capable HDDVR. The MPEG 4 DVR will not only be able to receive the additional content, but will have more hours storage space.

4. The 5LNB dish is already out and is able to carry/receive the MPEG 4 signal (though a new "slim" version is expected out soon).

I am in the process of buying a new HD plasma and upgrading my current system to HD. I just got off the phone with a DirectTV rep and she said that the HR20-250 is expected to be out in June/July (however she could not give a date). I realize that many people believe that it won't be out before the fall or winter or maybe even '07. She also told me that the 5LNB dish will not allow me to get my HD locals if I get the HR20-150. I would have to get an off air antenna or wait for the HR20-250. I live in the New York area so the H20 would allow me to get my HD locals.

So, I guess my questions are (with the assumption that my new set up with be HD and I would also like to have a DVR):

1. Should I wait for the HR20-250?

2. If I do not wait for the HR20-250, should I get the 5LNB dish?

3. Does it make sense to get the HR20-150 and the 5LNB dish and then upgrade to the HR20-250 when it comes out? I believe the cost is expected to be $99 to upgrade.

4. Is there another option? Can I get a different dish and the HR20-150 which will be fine for the next 2-3 years until MPEG 4 becomes the standard?

Any other thoughts or items I am missing?

Sorry if these questions are repetitive....

"3. The HR20-250 is the soon to be released MPEG 4 capable HDDVR. The MPEG 4 DVR will not only be able to receive the additional content, but will have more hours storage space."

It will need to have additional storage space, as the high def programming will be taking up more and more space on the hard drive, so you likely won't be able to store that many more shows if you use it to its full potential. It will also apparantly have an sata port on the back that will allow for an additional external hard drive. But as others have said, I would be very surprised if its out by september.

2. The HR20-150 is the current HDDVR, but it is only MPEG 2 capable.
--------------
Actually the HR_10-250 is the current HDDVR, and why wait? You can use the
Tivo unit just fine with the new dish, and upgrade later when your locals are
MPEG4(current plans are to deliver just the 4 major nets in HD..(a good OTA
antenna will serve you well if you have no antenna issues). It is being said that any new National H/D added will be MPEG4, however the last two were added in
MPEG2, and the two new sats. (S/W 1 & 2) are currently only beaming Local H/D
service. I would get my H/D install now(with the Tivo HR10-250) and just upgrade
later if it were me......

I have decided to not wait and get the current HD tivo unit. I have a H20, H10 and SD tivo unit, Plus 5 standard recievers.

Thank you for asking these questions! I'm struggling with this HD issue myself. The sad thing is, just before Voom went kaput, they had almost released a new receiver with a built-in HD DVR.

jonkomar said:
Thank you for asking these questions! I'm struggling with this HD issue myself. The sad thing is, just before Voom went kaput, they had almost released a new receiver with a built-in HD DVR.

Most of the major cable companies have dvrs capable of recording hd, many have been out for quite some time, albeit storage space is usually small. They aren't mpeg 4 compatible, but you can record hd locals in most cases. Directv is way behind.

cohenri said:
2. If I do not wait for the HR20-250, should I get the 5LNB dish?
I think the 5LNB (AT9) is the only dish being used for new HD installs, unless they are out of stock in your area.

3. The HR20-250 is the soon to be released MPEG 4 capable HDDVR. The MPEG 4 DVR will not only be able to receive the additional content, but will have more hours storage space.
Another bonus feature of the upcoming HR20-250 is that it will be D*'s first HD receiver with interactive functionality. :)

thanks

mcbeevee said:
I think the 5LNB (AT9) is the only dish being used for new HD installs, unless they are out of stock in your area.

The CSR I spoke to confused me. The way I understood it was that the 5LNB dish would not allow me to get local channels with the HR10-250. It was my understanding that they would not use the 5LNB for my install if I wanted the HD-DVR.

If I do not want to wait for the release of the new DVR, does the HR10-250 work with the 5LNB? Will I be able to get my local channels in the New York area through this setup or will I need to buy a separate antenna?

It is my understanding that once the new DVR comes out, it will be possible to "trade in" the HR10-250 and get the newer one for $99. Although the cost is high (to pay twice), it may be my best and only option if I plan on getting my HD TV and setting up the new system right away. Most importantly, of course, is to make sure that I have HD in time for football season. :)

Getting the "5LNB" dish won't ever get you any channels on the HR10, but will future proof you for a dish swap.

You said "NY area" - are you sure that the NY HD locals on MPEG2 aren't available for you?

Depending on where you are in NY, OTA is a seriously viable option. For me (I'm at the fringe of the NY DMA), it really isn't.

Sorry - still confused

hancox said:
Getting the "5LNB" dish won't ever get you any channels on the HR10, but will future proof you for a dish swap.

You said "NY area" - are you sure that the NY HD locals on MPEG2 aren't available for you?

Depending on where you are in NY, OTA is a seriously viable option. For me (I'm at the fringe of the NY DMA), it really isn't.

I'm sorry if I am a little slow, but, if the 5LNB dish won't get me any channels on the HR10-250, then how will I watch television? Will I need to get two receivers? What is the point of getting the HR10-250 at all if it won't work with the dish? Or are you saying that the HR10-250 would work with the off air antenna and I would need a separate non-DVR satellite box to work with the 5LNB dish?

I am still trying to figure out the setup I can use. I believe that the locals are available on 2 Megs.

You will get all channels with the 5 LNB dish. I have it in NY and it works fine with old HD receivers and the new H20. It also works with all SD receivers.

Sorry - I mis-typed. I meant that:

Getting the "5LNB" dish won't ever get you any ADDITIONAL channels on the HR10, but will future proof you for a dish swap.

Argh. Apols.

Status
Please reply by conversation.