This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Newbie Questions Re: 921 HD DVR

jgra

Original poster
May 4, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Hello everyone,

I will be getting the DVR 921 HD soon. Here some of the questions I have:

I have local channels package and hd channel package with dish network. I will have nothing else except for the hd dvr 921, will I be able (through the hd dvr 921) to record local hd channels? Will I definitely need an atenna?

Will I be able to record as I regularly record my local channels as I record everything else through the guide data screen?

Thanks

You will be able to record local channels received through Dish Network on the DVR via guide data.

Any channel that you want to get locally in HD(blue) or SD off air(green), you will need an outside/inside or attic antenna.

You can record these channels, but have to press RECORD and STOP to do it *manually*. They can't be scheduled.

(as far I know-I've not tried to record locals since the last SW update cuz I can no longer get any of the local HD channels to detect now)

If anyone knows for certain... correct me...

Sorry I just need some clarification. So will the channels I record through dish network locally will they be hd or sd? If they will be only sd I will then have to get an antenna do you recommend an online merchant where I can buy it for cheap and/or instructions on how to install?

The only local HD that Dish offers is CBS-HD and you have to qualify for that. To get local HD you do need an antenna. If you do some searching (Search feature) here and at avsforums.com you will get a lot of info on what to do to get local HD. If you record a local on Dish it will be in SD. Unless it is CBS-HD. CBS-HD is different than you regular locals.

Assuming you are subscribed to locals through Dish and you are in an area that Dish has Guide info, Recording is similar to what you currently record SD channels on the 721 or 508. Select the channel from the EPG and create a Timer. If you are not a subscriber to locals, you will have to create manual timers.

As for an antenna. I have had good luck with Channel Master. Good places to start your journey in addition to here is antennaweb.org, channelmaster.com, dbstalk.com and avsforum.com .

Good luck. Getting OTA can be an art.

I had no trouble recording OTA with timers even before the guide data became available, just couldn't use guide.

Just to clarify. You can only record OTA that is digital. Digital OTA can be SD or HD.

Analog OTA is always SD, and can NOT be recorded.

I use a channel master STEALTH ant with a amp to receive locals & I can receive from Miami to Palm Bch Fl.

To be more clear;

Unless you're in NY or LA, you will get NO locals in HD via Dish. If you qualify, you may be able to get either NY or LA CBS HD, but Dish provides no other network HD content whatsoever, and there does not appear to be any plans to change that at least through 2005. If you can get OTA HD signal from your local networks, you can try to connect that to the 921, map those OTA channels into your 921, and pray that it works. If it does, continue praying that your unit does not lock up and require reboots. You will find some very quirky behavior in the graphical depiction of scheduled OTA recording in the program guide. You may possibly be one of the (apparently small) group of people who are largely successful in getting the thing to work reliably. Otherwise, you may find yourself in the other group such as myself you is returning your 921 to Dish for a full refund.