Newbie questions

tcpuccio1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Lancaster, NY
Ok I am a returning dish customer had last in 2010. What a difference in equipment 9 years makes.. now for the questions. I have a hopper and 4 Joey 3 receivers. All brand spanking new equipment. I have 2 rooms next to each other kitchen and living room. Living room is the hopper 1 Joey in the kitchen.. they are not synced up ther is about a second plus delay on the Joey it is pretty annoying if they are on the same station. The system is all hard wired. No WiFi between them. Question 2 when the receivers are turned off the green power button stays on...... it is in som kind of standby mode Or what? 4k. I ha e a brand spankin* new Samsung tv that is 4K..is there such a thing as a 4K hdmi cable to improve picture quality.. I doubt there is a lot broadcast i. 4 k right now... lastly outa antenna right into the back of the hopper and it will merge local tv into the guide so I can drop the locals on my bill... right now my new dish bill is $61.00 less then what direct hiked my bill up to... like that a lot.... thank you in advance,

I have 2 rooms next to each other kitchen and living room. Living room is the hopper 1 Joey in the kitchen.. they are not synced up ther is about a second plus delay on the Joey it is pretty annoying if they are on the same station.

That would be annoying but I'm lost. Why don't you feed both close-by locations with the H3 and not add a Joey in the kitchen? If you were watching different programs, then that makes more sense but if you can hear both from both locations, how would that work? :confused:

The receiver for my kitchen is actually in the living room as well it has a hdmi cabe running do an to a kids play room in the basement and the kitchen on the same hdmi output. I have a splitter in the hdmi for those. 2 tv’s s That is why it is that way . With the genie directv system no delay at all seamless. It is not all that often this happens but last night we had the same football game on while making dinner and the delay was maddening.

Ok I am a returning dish customer had last in 2010. What a difference in equipment 9 years makes.. now for the questions. I have a hopper and 4 Joey 3 receivers. All brand spanking new equipment. I have 2 rooms next to each other kitchen and living room. Living room is the hopper 1 Joey in the kitchen.. they are not synced up ther is about a second plus delay on the Joey it is pretty annoying if they are on the same station. The system is all hard wired. No WiFi between them. Question 2 when the receivers are turned off the green power button stays on...... it is in som kind of standby mode Or what? 4k. I ha e a brand spankin* new Samsung tv that is 4K..is there such a thing as a 4K hdmi cable to improve picture quality.. I doubt there is a lot broadcast i. 4 k right now... lastly outa antenna right into the back of the hopper and it will merge local tv into the guide so I can drop the locals on my bill... right now my new dish bill is $61.00 less then what direct hiked my bill up to... like that a lot.... thank you in advance,
That delay is unavoidable. The Hopper is the host. It gets the signal, then sends it to the Joeys (Clients). The genies are not the same and all receive the signal at the same time. The reason the light stays on (for 5 minutes) is because for one thing, you have 5 minutes to pause your program and go to another room to pick up where you left off. If the Hopper turned straight off when you shut it down to go to that other room, you'd lose your "place". A lot of us are using OTA instead or with Dish locals. It is a nice feature and no, there is no 4K HDMI cable. The free ones in the box are high speed and can display 4K imaging

There is a slight delay in the Hopper processing the signal then putting it out over MOCA, the nature of the beast.

The Joeys are clients of the Hopper host. The signal to the Hopper goes directly to HDMI or whatever output you use on the Hopper, but the signal to the Joeys must be processed by the Hopper, fed into the MOCA stream then the Joeys must re-process it back to HDMI or composite.

You get 1/4 second delay, just enough to notice.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
We have the same delay situation with the Hopper and Joey in our NY cottage for those times we watch the same program. The work around for us is to simply mute the sound on one TV, and turn it up on the other one. If you look closely, the sound from the other TV has a slight lip sync problem, but it's not really that noticeable for most programs. Works for us...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts