Newbie Questions

elfdowney

Original poster
Jan 17, 2007
Florida
:hatsoff: Newbie Questions... As a a backpacking/motorcycle camping/kayaker I suffer from terminal wanderlust... I'm also an Internut freak. I'm interested in the smallest, most mobile form of Internet access.
1. Have I come to the right place to fulfill my wildest desires?
2. What system/equipment should I use?
3. Where can I obtain said items?
4. If training is necessary in it's usage in the field, where can I obtain it?
Thanx in advance for my "dumb" questions.

For something that you can carry on a motorcycle, and backpack only. Looks like a good cell phone meant for the person that uses it for the web a lot is in order. You could also you a Laptop with some sort of WIFI.

Welcome to Satelliteguys......You can to the right place.

Others will chime in with more options I'm sure.

Last edited:
Sprint, AT&T and Verizon also offer bluetooth connection to the phone allowing internet access. So you could have a laptop connected to your phone via bluetooth and the phone connected to the net at reasonable speeds. Full service aint cheep, but it great if you know you wont be in hot-spots.

See ya
Tony

Good point Tony I thought about that a couple of hours after I posted.

:up I had'nt thought of Bluetooth... thanx
was thinking a step up, though... something semi-permanent... like the trailer w/ a tripod... only smaller... I use the motorcycle to get to an area and then set-up a semi-permanent basecamp and branch out fron there... very nomadic...hare for awhile, goon tomorrow!

Sometimes you just can't find things that will work for a particular situation. There are many, many places in this country (millions of acres) where it sounds like you might be willing to go, where satellite is the only possible connection. No problem taking a satellite mobile, whether it is manual like you are talking about, or automatic like mine, but there is a big problem downsizing it. The dish will have to be at least a .74 meter, and I can't imagine transporting that routinely by motorcycle trailer.

If you can figure a way to transport it, I would recommend buying from a reputable tripod satellite internet dealer, who will provide adequate training. Too many fly-by-nights do not. Check the files in the Yahoo group RVInternetBySatellite to see some lists of recommended dealers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)