Newbie setup issues DP34???

basmntdweller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
West Indy
I have a 501 and 522 hooked up to a DPP twin dish. I tried to install a DP 34 today but the 522 has errors when I check switch and the 501 doesn't show any connection. I uninstalled the DP34 switch and checked that both receivers are still working fine and they are.
Does this switch not work with these receivers? I intend to add another receiver hence the need for the DP34. Is there a procedure I'm not doing correctly? Do I really need the DP34 to operate three receivers? I thought about putting a splitter in one of the cables from the dish and going to two receivers that way but I've been told it won't work.
thanks,,,Matt

basmntdweller said:
Not sure what you mean???? I thought the DPP twin was the type of LNB on the dish.
other alternatives?
Thanks,,,Matt
Correct. The DP34 switch will not work with a DPP Twin LNB. You either need to change the LNB to a DP Twin or else use a DPP 44 switch.

Theres dish pro plus, dish pro, legacy, and fss. You will need a dish pro twin lnbf to work with your dish pro 34 switch to run your dual tuner and 2 single tuners. The dish pro line of receivers is backwards compatible with legacy lnbfs and switchs, the dish pro plus 44 switch is so far as I know the only dish pro plus non receiver item that is backwards compatible with dish pro lnbfs and dish pro 34 switchs and possibly with dish pro 21 switchs, it is not compatible with the legacy line.

I went looking at the local Radio Shack for a DP44. They did not have one but they had a couple others made by Terk. I am assuming they won't work with the DPP twin either. They didn't have a DP twin lnb either. I have a buddy that is looking at an old dish he has to see which lnb it has. he said I could have it if it works for me. Is there anything I need to know as far as changing it out for my DPP twin?

On another subject, can I use a diplexer to connect the outputs of two receivers to a single TV? I have one of single receivers on a TV set to receive on channel 3. I was wanting to hook it up to the tuner 2 of my dual receiver that sends it's signal out on channel 73. I was fairly sure I could use an A-B switch but I thought combining the signals to a single cable would be slicker plus I wouldn't have to get out of bed if I wanted to switch receivers :) The goal is to be able to watch the stuff recorded on my 522 while still having a separate receiver for the bedroom.
Thanks again,,,Matt

basmntdweller said:
I went looking at the local Radio Shack for a DP44. They did not have one but they had a couple others made by Terk. I am assuming they won't work with the DPP twin either. They didn't have a DP twin lnb either. I have a buddy that is looking at an old dish he has to see which lnb it has. he said I could have it if it works for me. Is there anything I need to know as far as changing it out for my DPP twin?

On another subject, can I use a diplexer to connect the outputs of two receivers to a single TV? I have one of single receivers on a TV set to receive on channel 3. I was wanting to hook it up to the tuner 2 of my dual receiver that sends it's signal out on channel 73. I was fairly sure I could use an A-B switch but I thought combining the signals to a single cable would be slicker plus I wouldn't have to get out of bed if I wanted to switch receivers :) The goal is to be able to watch the stuff recorded on my 522 while still having a separate receiver for the bedroom.
Thanks again,,,Matt
Matt you have a 501 and a 522 connected to a Dish Pro Plus Twin. That means that your 522 is using a DPP Separator you can't use that with a DP-34 switch you must replace the DP-34 with a DPP44
to continue using the separator. If you don't use the separator you will need two cables run from the dish(switch) to the back of the 522.
No you can't use a diplexer for that purpose but you can use a standard splitter in reverse to do what you want. You could also run the ch73 from tuner 2 into the antenna in on your 501 (that I assume is in the bedroom) when you shut off the 501(standby) it serves as an A/B switch and will pass through the ch73. You will just have to use the TV tuner to select ch73. :)

With the prices of DPP44s so high, I don't care to go that route. There are currently two cables coming from the dish and entering the house. I am guessing that there is something also connected between the dual LNB and my DP34 that is causing problems with the DP34. I'm guessing the separator you are talking about is the 1-2 splitter looking deal connected at the back of my 522(one coax split into two with both going into the 522).
This is how I am understanding what I need to do. I am assuming there is some piece of hardware connected to the LNB in the arm holding the LNB to the dish. I need to remove that piece, run the two cables directly from the LNB to my DP34. Then I'll need two cables from the DP34 to go to the 522, one going to the 501 and finally one cable going to my 311.
Is this correct?

Putting the second receiver connection(channel 73) into the antenna port of the 311 in the bedroom seems to be the simplest solution.
Thanks again,,,Matt

Bluntly, you MUST replace the DPPlus-Twin LNB with a DP-Twin LNB if you're going to use a DP34. Then you run a second feed from the DP34 to the 522, and remove the DPP-Separator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts