Newbie upgrade equipment path from old Dish equipment to "HD FREE for Life" promo - HELP!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wesquer

Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Running Springs
Hi folks,
I am a 10 year subscriber to Dish and received the HD FREE for Life promo in the mail. We have 2 new HD TVs, one in the LR and one in the BR.

My old equipment is a DVR510 in the LR and a 4700 in the BR, both obviously SD versions. I have a Dish 500 with a 2 SW21 switches to the 2 TVs. RG6 coax enters the house into 2 separate places, obviously.

I live in southern California in the mountains above San Bernardino. I subscribe to local LA stations as well through Dish.

I talked to Dish rep and am confused about upgrade equipment. I assume I get a new physical dish with integrated 2 feedhorns and I am leaning toward a Dish DVR VIP 612 in the LR and a VIP211k in the BR. Kinda simple, like what I have now, I think. Remove/replace dish, remove replace receivers = done!

If I want to use a DUO 722k, I have to run more cable to the BR TV and I'm not too crazy about that.

The rep also stated he could set me up with a 722k for LR, just for one receiver, and the 211k for the BR.

I also read about attaching an external USB hard disk to the 211k as a cheap DVR for the BR.

Rep said the price would stay the same because I have the 2nd receiver already with the 722k/211k route or get reduced by $7 if I use the 722k in dual TV mode.

Sorry for long post! Ideas/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated before I commit. Happy New Year,
Dave

You will need a new Dish/switch etc. I would take Dish up on the offer for the 722k if they offer it cheap, and have them do the install since they will upgrade the dish and switches as needed for the install. A 211k makes a good DVR. Just be aware that there is no way to share programming between the 722k and the 211k (i.e. if you record it on the 722 you have to watch it on the 722 and vice versa).

The 722 would be included in the package price. The next receiver you have to pay, a 211k is $7, a 612 is $10 and a 722 is $17.

The 722 is a lot better DVR than the 612, and you can use it on one TV. As the included receiver in your package it would not cost you more than a 612. The 722 also lets you add sling and google TV later if you wish.

Hi folks,
I am a 10 year subscriber to Dish and received the HD FREE for Life promo in the mail. We have 2 new HD TVs, one in the LR and one in the BR.

My old equipment is a DVR510 in the LR and a 4700 in the BR, both obviously SD versions. I have a Dish 500 with a 2 SW21 switches to the 2 TVs. RG6 coax enters the house into 2 separate places, obviously.

I live in southern California in the mountains above San Bernardino. I subscribe to local LA stations as well through Dish.

I talked to Dish rep and am confused about upgrade equipment. I assume I get a new physical dish with integrated 2 feedhorns and I am leaning toward a Dish DVR VIP 612 in the LR and a VIP211k in the BR. Kinda simple, like what I have now, I think. Remove/replace dish, remove replace receivers = done!

If I want to use a DUO 722k, I have to run more cable to the BR TV and I'm not too crazy about that.

The rep also stated he could set me up with a 722k for LR, just for one receiver, and the 211k for the BR.

I also read about attaching an external USB hard disk to the 211k as a cheap DVR for the BR.

Rep said the price would stay the same because I have the 2nd receiver already with the 722k/211k route or get reduced by $7 if I use the 722k in dual TV mode.

Sorry for long post! Ideas/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated before I commit. Happy New Year,
Dave

To replace the functionality of the 510 you will need at least a VIP 622 or 722. My advice is 722k w/ OTA module if you do much OTA. That way 2 tuners of each. Then bdrm can be the 211k w/ ext HDD. That way you will get the function of a DVR w/o the added month fee: just a 1 time fee to add the HDD. mike123abc is correct in going dish-n-up program for the upgrade. Means 2 yr contact but since you have the units you listed you been w/them for a while. They will need to replace everything except maybe the wiring.

if all you want is to feed 2 tvs, one in lr and one in br, go with just the 722 as it will do the job. with diplexors tech should be able to use existing wiring as long as it is rg6. a new 1000.2 dish and you have hd and dvr in both rooms. you only need a second receiver if you want to run more than two tvs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts