Newbie with a couple questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BME

Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hello,

First time poster.

I've reviewed the forum, and it's possible I missed the FAQ section. But, I have a few questions.

Setup:

I have a HD DVR box - HR20 I believe.

Software: 0x11e.

Dish: Oval, 3LNBs

Question, My HD channels aren't loading in when they're released. I haven't got ESPNHD or NFLHD. Or actually, I'll get the NFL HD channel on 94, 95,98. Along with alot of other HD channels not coming in.

Also, I lost my locals HD recently, I just called and they set them into channels 391, 393, 397, 399. Which, I don't really like.

Is there a way I can get it to where my HD channels come up as the channel.. like, If I go to Channel 2 it's HD and SD?

Thanks alot for all your help.

Hello,

First time poster.

I've reviewed the forum, and it's possible I missed the FAQ section. But, I have a few questions.

Setup:

I have a HD DVR box - HR20 I believe.

Software: 0x11e.

Dish: Oval, 3LNBs - THIS IS AN ISSUE

Question, My HD channels aren't loading in when they're released. I haven't got ESPNHD or NFLHD. Or actually, I'll get the NFL HD channel on 94, 95,98. Along with alot of other HD channels not coming in.

Also, I lost my locals HD recently, I just called and they set them into channels 391, 393, 397, 399. Which, I don't really like.

Is there a way I can get it to where my HD channels come up as the channel.. like, If I go to Channel 2 it's HD and SD?

Thanks alot for all your help.

You need a new 5 LNB dish Do you have any B-band converters attached to your HD DVR? And; you are 100% positive on your dish?

Welcome to the forum. You need a 5 LNB dish. The newest is the Slimline. If you look at the reflector part of the dish it should say "Slimline" in script on it.

You also need B-Band Converters for each input on the HD box. You can request extra's at the webpage below. The coax from the dish or multiswitch runs to the BBC and the BBC screws into the tuners on the receiver.

DIRECTV® B-Band Converter Request

BME,

Welcome to the site !!!

Sounds like you are getting your locals from D*, do you live in NY or LA ?

If not, D* would send you your channels on the correct numbers, provided they have your DMA available on the dish.

IF you really do have the 3 lnb dish, you need to get it upgraded as Charper mentioned, in order to get the new HD channels as they are inmpeg4 format and the older dish does mpeg2 only.

Are you getting your HD channels in the 70's ? ESPN, HD NET, HD theater and possibly HBO or Showtime, depending on what sub you have ?

Is it possible to get your locals with an OTA antenna ?

Jimbo

charper, Nutflash, and Jimbo,

Thanks for the response, and the advice.

I do have the B-Band Converter attached to my box.

As far as the Dish, I could've sworn when the tech came to install it - He had mentioned it was the newer one, and I'd be able to get all the HD programing. I can't see the name on it, but I was able to take a picture with my cell phone. Maybe the picture will be able to see if it's a 5 LNB.

Yes, I live in the LA Area.

Yes, all of my HD channels still appear in the 70's channels

Here is the picture of my dish. It's a dark gloomy day here in So Cal. Hopefully it can be seen.

0406081925ao3.jpg

Thanks again

That is the older 5 LNB dish. It should work fine. Did it get bumped out of line due to winds? It could be your multiswitch if you have one or a bad BBC. It's hard to say though. Perhaps someone else my be more help. Do you get the new channels (ESPN News HD) when you reset the receiver?

I think that he may want to call D* and verify that the HD programming is turned on, newer mpeg4 programming.
Have them reset your system, remember to let them know that your locals are also not working, they should be coming in on your normal LA channels.

Jimbo

Thanks again guys.

Yesterday I called, and they were able to resend the signal to my DVR and send my HD Locals through. But they are stuck on Channels 391(CBS) 393(NBC) 397(ABC) 399(FOX). I'd like it where I can to channel 11 and it be HD and the SD. I hate having to go to 399 to see HD Fox. Is there a way to do that?

Also, I have ESPNews in SD but not HD yet, and I just rest my receiver two days ago. Same with HD Disney .. Still in SD.

Looks like I'll have to call them?

Thanks again guys.

Yesterday I called, and they were able to resend the signal to my DVR and send my HD Locals through. But they are stuck on Channels 391(CBS) 393(NBC) 397(ABC) 399(FOX). I'd like it where I can to channel 11 and it be HD and the SD. I hate having to go to 399 to see HD Fox. Is there a way to do that?

Also, I have ESPNews in SD but not HD yet, and I just rest my receiver two days ago. Same with HD Disney .. Still in SD.

Looks like I'll have to call them?

Hit the guide button a second time, so that the catagories come up and go to the "HD Channels" and see what channels show up that way, if they are not there, then call D*.

You did say you had your BBC filters on in an earlier post, without them, you'll not get the mpeg4 channels.

You can verify that the BBC's are working by tuning to channels 480,481.

How is your signal strength on the 103c sat ?

Jimbo

Ok, I went to the guide and counted my HD channels. Without counting the doubles (ESPN on 206 and 70 something, etc..) I have 17 channels. I believe.

I went to channel 480, 481 ... Both said Channel Not Available.

Signal Strength ... 103c? What do you mean by that? (Learning the terms still)

I went under the Signal Strength setup.. shows me - Satellite: 101, Tuner: 1

Lines 1-8: Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines: 9-16 Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines: 17-24 Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines 25-32: Mostly all in the 80's.

Thanks again for any help.

Ok, I went to the guide and counted my HD channels. Without counting the doubles (ESPN on 206 and 70 something, etc..) I have 17 channels. I believe.

I went to channel 480, 481 ... Both said Channel Not Available.

Signal Strength ... 103c? What do you mean by that? (Learning the terms still)

I went under the Signal Strength setup.. shows me - Satellite: 101, Tuner: 1

Lines 1-8: Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines: 9-16 Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines: 17-24 Mostly all in the 80's with a 0 in the middle.
Lines 25-32: Mostly all in the 80's.

Thanks again for any help.

What you posted, is that all you saw in the Signal Strength area ?
You should have had 101, 110, 119, 99 and 103s and 103c ( the s is spotbeam, mostly local channels and c is conus, which is across the Continental US)

If you are not seeing at least the 101, 110, 119, and 103 then chances are your rec. is not set up correctly OR more likely your dish is not aligned correctly.

When set up correctly most sats should be in the high 80's to mid 90's, it is normal to have a few zeros, particualrly on the 99 (you may have alot on the 99 depending on your location).

I would try to do a receiver reset if you are farmilar with it. Otherwise Call D* and have them come out and fix it right.

IF you want to do the reset, I can get you there, but you will need to walk thru the steps, it will take about 20 minutes to do as it eventually will have to search for the signals again while resetting and it repopulates the guide.

IF you want to do this go to :

Menu > Set Up > System Set up > Sat and Antenna > Repeat Sat Set Up, hit the dash to go any farther and walk thru the prompts.
One important thing you want to verify when doing this is, make sure that your Dish set up has the 5 LNB set up marked, sometimes it is in the 3 LNB set up and that WILL cause you to NOT get your HD channels.

Walk your way thru this and if it does not fix your problem, I would call them.

Jimbo

charper, Nutflash, and Jimbo,

Thanks for the response, and the advice.

I do have the B-Band Converter attached to my box.

As far as the Dish, I could've sworn when the tech came to install it - He had mentioned it was the newer one, and I'd be able to get all the HD programing. I can't see the name on it, but I was able to take a picture with my cell phone. Maybe the picture will be able to see if it's a 5 LNB.

Yes, I live in the LA Area.

Yes, all of my HD channels still appear in the 70's channels

Here is the picture of my dish. It's a dark gloomy day here in So Cal. Hopefully it can be seen.

0406081925ao3.jpg

Thanks again
Yep, that is NOT the standard dish it IS a 5LNB, just the original variety.

What you posted, is that all you saw in the Signal Strength area ?
You should have had 101, 110, 119, 99 and 103s and 103c ( the s is spotbeam, mostly local channels and c is conus, which is across the Continental US)

If you are not seeing at least the 101, 110, 119, and 103 then chances are your rec. is not set up correctly OR more likely your dish is not aligned correctly.

When set up correctly most sats should be in the high 80's to mid 90's, it is normal to have a few zeros, particualrly on the 99 (you may have alot on the 99 depending on your location).

I would try to do a receiver reset if you are farmilar with it. Otherwise Call D* and have them come out and fix it right.

IF you want to do the reset, I can get you there, but you will need to walk thru the steps, it will take about 20 minutes to do as it eventually will have to search for the signals again while resetting and it repopulates the guide.

IF you want to do this go to :

Menu > Set Up > System Set up > Sat and Antenna > Repeat Sat Set Up, hit the dash to go any farther and walk thru the prompts.
One important thing you want to verify when doing this is, make sure that your Dish set up has the 5 LNB set up marked, sometimes it is in the 3 LNB set up and that WILL cause you to NOT get your HD channels.

Walk your way thru this and if it does not fix your problem, I would call them.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I want to thank you.

I did the reset and changed it from 3 LNB to 5 LNB. I received an error, but I choose to fix later, and keep going. I believe it said failed under Satellite 99 (I think). But, 101 and 103 said OK.

Anyways, Once it was done.. I believe I know have all my HD channels. And, my Locals are stacked. I have FOX and LA11.. Which is how I wanted it.

Once again, Thanks for all the help.

My only issue now is, ESPNews HD.. the left side is kind've cut off on my screen. Oh well.. I can get use to it.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)