Newbie with a question/problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DrJ

Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
North Carolina
I am pretty much a newbie to DIRECTV and am technically challenged. I have recently noticed a problem and was wondering if it is normal or something I should call my provider about. Basically, lately I have been getting brief pixelations and a message saying the signal is lost or something like that. It doesn't last very long, just a few seconds but it happens pretty often...about every 10-15 minutes. I don't have an HD box or an HDTV and the problem seems to happen on all channels although I tend to mostly watch local channels. Any help will be appreciated so I can figure out if I need to call for service. Thanks.

I am pretty much a newbie to DIRECTV and am technically challenged. I have recently noticed a problem and was wondering if it is normal or something I should call my provider about. Basically, lately I have been getting brief pixelations and a message saying the signal is lost or something like that. It doesn't last very long, just a few seconds but it happens pretty often...about every 10-15 minutes. I don't have an HD box or an HDTV and the problem seems to happen on all channels although I tend to mostly watch local channels. Any help will be appreciated so I can figure out if I need to call for service. Thanks.

It sounds like your dish may be slightly out of alignment. Do you know how to check your signal strength numbers?

Thanks for reply Raoul. I'm not sure about checking my satellite numbers. I went into menu > setup and satellite and I get 32 transponders on 101-degrees with strengths from 88 to 97 but 3 are zero. If I go to signal meter, it shows 2 tuners and both are at 95%. Don't know if this makes any sense, makes none to me. I did try unplugging the box to reset things but that didn't do anything. Thanks again for trying...wish I could be more help.

jdspencer...I am not sure what model number my receiver is. I went looking for the paperwork but couldn't find it right now. The one I am having trouble with is not the HD but it does have a DVR. The HD receiver is in my son's room and he says his only problem is with one channel...TBS...and it goes out and stays out for some time. The problem I am having doesn't really interfere with the TV that much since the pixelation only lasts a few seconds and the error message goes by so fast I can hardly read it but it still isn't right. I contacted DIRECTV customer service and they said if signal strength was below 60 (HD) or 70 I might need my dish aligned. Mine seem to be above 88 on all transponders. Thanks for the help.

I assume that your dish is a Slimline since you do have an HD DVR.
If both of your DVRs have both inputs connected and you have the standard receiver, there is a multiswitch connected in your system. If so, try swapping the inputs on the problem receiver if that's the DVR. Also, try different outputs from the multiswitch. You should also look at the signal strengths on the other satellites, not just 101.

Multiswitches...inputs...outputs...I'm lost. I guess a techno-dweeb like me should just call the service guy before I really screw something up:confused: Thanks a lot for trying to help though...I really do appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)