Newbie with old C band dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bigec2002

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 17, 2005
I have an old c band dish and im thinking about getting rid of it and getting one of the dish packages offered with a fta receiver. Can I retrofit my C band dish with an fta lnb? If not, can you suggest what type of dish is better for southeastern US (Covington, LA) I am particularly interested in a satellite that is W 45 degrees which carries unscrambled programming of all the PR (Puerto Rico) local channels. Thanks in advance! bigec2002

THe foot print from that satellite is not cover the North America, unless you has a Big C band dish that may pick up some signal from there.

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

Otherwise at least a 30" dish is needed for KU signals. Being so far south 30" will work. Of course bigger is always better!

bigec2002 said:
I have an old c band dish and im thinking about getting rid of it and getting one of the dish packages offered with a fta receiver. Can I retrofit my C band dish with an fta lnb? If not, can you suggest what type of dish is better for southeastern US (Covington, LA) I am particularly interested in a satellite that is W 45 degrees which carries unscrambled programming of all the PR (Puerto Rico) local channels. Thanks in advance! bigec2002

I am in Cen La not sure if you can get that sat but you can just add a ku lnb and a Digital C Band LNB to that dish to receive FTA signals. You don't need another dish.

I'm 99% sure I was able to see that PR mux on my 5' dish down here in Phoenix.

What are you using to move the dish, the old c-band receiver? Since that mux is C-band I'd give it a shot with the LNB you have. If it doesn't come through, the ASC421 is an inexpensive voltage switched c-band LNBF that performs very well. More than likey you'll need to use the big dish to have any chance of getting those channels.

Judging by the footprint chart for PAS 1R, you should be able to get results similar to mine.

I have some other DVB experimenting to do... I'll see if I can't verify and post the results of trying to pick up that PR MUX.

I don't see any reason at all you should not be able to get PAS 1R from your location. It's got a fine footprint on both C and KU for most of the US.

I've got a 3.8 meter dish pointed at IS-805 at 55W with no problem. It used to be pointed at IS-601 when it was at 35W. Signal was low but usable. The dish was near vertical, elevation about 15 degrees :) I've got a 3.2 meter dish aimed at NSS 806 at 40.5, also giving a good signal. These are all on C band.

If you're in the flatlands and have a big dish, you should be good.

Results with my little dish....

No joy on the PR mux. I'm not seeing even a flicker on 4104V. Right now 45W is on the East limit of my actuator so I may not be getting the best possible signal from it.

I was able to get:
TeleAmazonas on 4129V
The Dominican Republic Mux on 3784V
Telecadena 7 y 4 on 3764V
Telefuturo on 3759V

I hope this helps.

Shawn

What do you have for an LNB? A new one is under $50 and would help if yours an older one.

Don't forget many of wish we had an c band dish. There is a lot to get on them.

Good luck with yours.

bigec2002 said:

Same here.
Not to brag but if I had the room and time I could get.
8' mesh and pos saw at garage sale
12' mesh and pos h-to-h from freecycle :eek:
10' mesh and pos saw at garage sale
9' spun al dish and pos from coworker
8' spun al dish. Neer by at house that just got sold , don't know if can get it

two 8' holly dish solid metal with pos. Too far tho to bother with. Freecycle.

I do have a 5' mesh because I can store it inside with spin and threaded rod fixed

So to all who read this. Get on freecycle or stop and ask people if you see a dish you like.

In my area U-haul is like $30 per day and so much per mile after that. I myself have a utility trailer.

Good luck with the hunt.

dirtyshame said:
Ken2400,
Here in NW Louisiana I see a lot of C-band dishes that are not being used. I could probably get one free just for removing it. It's a thought.
Old John

Thanks to all!

Want to thank all for the replies given. If I understood correctly I need a digital C band LNB in order to get these channels on that particular satellite provided my dish and location allow me to be within the coverage area. If this is the case, what other FTA programming that is NOT ILLEGAL could I obtain of a international sports nature? I am already subscribed to DIRECTV but the reason Im asking is Im a big FUTBOL read SOCCER fan and the World Cup is ready to kick into gear. I know that not all of the games will be broadcast commercially so it would be worth my while to obtain an FTA system to watch international soccer matches broadcast in the clear. Anyone with any experience in this area?

My BUD has LNB's for analog signals. These were installed in 1995 or earlier, but they pick up FTA DVB digital signals. My problem, which I still have, is getting the BUD to track properly. I can adjust it for my southernmost satellite and get both signal level and quality hitting 99%. But when I try my westernmost satellite I find that I have lost it as far as ku band goes but my c-band analog still works fine. I suspect that my true south is a little off but at present I cannot turn the pole, it is rusted in place.

My point is that my analog LNB's work but that the digital signals are much harder to get zeroed in on.

Old John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)