newbie with questions....

pozey

Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Hello all. New here. Just found this site and have been gathering loads of new information.

First off, I have been a Dish Network subscriber for at least 8 years. My current setup is as follows:

Model 5000 receiver (bought about 8 years ago)
Model 2700 in 2nd room (not sure if I bought it outright or not)
Dish 500 dish
America's Top 180 package
Locals

Now...I recently purchase a new HDTV. Now I need to upgrade my receiver to add the HD channels.

I would like to go ahead and get the 942, but would settle for the 411 or 211.

Questions:
Will I need a new or different dish?
Will hooking the new receiver be as simple as disconnecting the existing receiver(s) and reconnecing the cables?
Should I wait for the 942+ to come out?

Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

Can you provide a little more information, im sure the experts here then could give a much better answer.

Do you need DVR capabilities or just HD ability.
Do you want to replace both receivers with just the 942 ? or want to replace only the one with the HDTV.
Do you want Voom ?
Is the Dish 500 using legacy LNB's (look for logo on LNB's, if there's one what does it look like)

gbjbany said:
Can you provide a little more information, im sure the experts here then could give a much better answer.
Do you need DVR capabilities or just HD ability.
I could get by with just HD availability, but still thinking about DVR as a possibility.
Do you want to replace both receivers with just the 942 ? or want to replace only the one with the HDTV.
If I do get the 942, that would replace both, correct? If I don't go the DVR route, I would just be replacing the Model 5000.
Do you want Voom ?
Yes, probably.
Is the Dish 500 using legacy LNB's (look for logo on LNB's, if there's one what does it look like)
Not sure. If I had to guess, I would probably say yes.

If you're replacing BOTH receivers, you can then route both cables from the dish to the 942. This will NOT give you V* capability.

If you get a 811/411/211, it can easily replace either of your current boxes. Still no V*.

A Dish1000 will give you V*, and will drive the 942 and ONE of your current boxes.

gbj
He HAS to have Legacy with a 5000 and a 2700 :)

Damn...I thought I had the only 5000 still running...guess I was wrong :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts