Newchannels in November

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harrelson 69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2005
Beside the xm channels, will D* be adding any new channels to its packages? I always ask this at the end of every month I know!!!

We we all wait and see after the new satellite launches on 11/09 and AFTER DirecTV gains control of it. So maybe mid to late DEC '05 we might see 1 - 3 national offerings.

don't hold your breath....

we all have been waiting for D* to add some new channels. They don't want to. Period. I would like the Sportsmans channel. Plus either combine cinemax with HBO or add some HBO channels.... Ain't gonna happen. why should they? they don't offer the New York superstations. they claim that their numbers are going up. They paid ultra millions to the NFL only to have it blow up in their face. why should they do something now for us?

they are cutting back on service help. or sending it out of the country. Its all cut, cut, cut, and nothing really new except for shopping channels.

so stand in line buddy. keep waiting and waiting and watching. But be sure to send in your $90 bucks per month. D* needs the money. but don't hold your breath waiting for some new channels. Fat chance to say the least.

I guess from the perspective of the viewer, who has been waiting impatiently for a sizable increase in HD channels, this is true. I don't think D is sitting back and collecting. Their efforts towards HD are extremely progressive looking at all the other television providers. In fact, I would venture to say that out of all those who make up the chain from production to viewing, they are the 2nd most progressive, the viewer being 1st.

Many shows are just coming up in HD, Letterman just went HD even though Leno and Conan had been for some time. MTV which was an inovater in the 80's is just about to market HD, not very inovative. Microsoft is putting big money and lobbying to pass legislation to get those not willing to change to react. Sports seems to be the driver on this and even they are slow to respond.

Anyway, I think others are less progressive.

Please someone tell me that "old rat" (see above) is only dressed up as a D* subscriber for Trick or Treat. I value most opinions and have had my fair share of being critical of D* when warranted, but to answer someones serious inquiry with uneducated nonsense is shameful. I suspect Charper would have had something to say but it has been only about 50 minutes since his response and he is probably still cracking up or just rendered speechless.

No, I figured LOL was all that was warranted seeing that is what I was doing....

and as you said, any person half-way keeping up with all the recent goings on would no better than to buy into all that conspiracy theory junk.

I also had to go get the kids from school.

Why, every thing that I stated is true.. D* hasn't done anything in three years. Nothing. No major additions at all. None. why is that spouting trash. No conspiracy theory. None.
its just plain fact. in the three plus years I have had D* they have added NOTHING except shopping channels. They may have added the outdoor channel. I think that they did that in my first month. but nothing since.

And no I don't have HD tv nor do I have $3000 to invest in it. Its too bad that its going to cost so much to switch everything over to HD but that is the wave of the future. I have to wait for HD to be priced were everyone can buy one and it's not there yet. even still its 4 years until the switch over is complete. D* could be adding channels to make its self worth while. Thats not a conspirancy but the simple truth.

old rat, so ESPN2HD isn't a major addition because you don't have an HDTV, huh? (BTW, you can get a nice HDTV for a lot less than $3000 -- I have a nice 32in widescreen LCD HDTV I got for $999 AT Fry's. I've seen 27" widescreen LCD HDTVs for $599. If you want to stick with CRT a quick search on Amazon shows a 26" Samsung HDTV for $399. It should be no trouble to get an H10 for free with a 2-year commitment from DirecTV).

Aren't TV One and Logo are fairly recent additions for the SD crowd?

And of course XM is coming in two weeks.

old rat said:
Why, every thing that I stated is true.. D* hasn't done anything in three years. Nothing. No major additions at all. None.
:spam:

Tell that to someone like me, who was able to drop cable for my local HD networks.

Well espn2 hd .... is just another version of espn2 like east and west coast.. its still the same channel with the SAME PROGRAMING. And even adding HD locals, its still the same channel with a sharper picture.

Tell me something D* has added. and no not the alternitive lifestyle channels. Tell me something that D* added that was NEW. TOTALLY DIFFERENT. in three years. NOTHING.

sorry if this offends you. I don't know why that it would, but some of you are taking it very personal that D* hasn't lived up to its "progressive" billing.

oh and living out in the sticks, where I live the choices for a true HD tv are few and far between. Yes you can get an HD "ready " tv. but this is not a true HD tv. It doesn't have the new shape, plus you have to buy the converter box. Thats not HD tv. Its not.

I bought a dolby surround system way back when it first came out. Now I am being told that I need to sell my receiver because its not what dolby is today. ( my receiver needs some work on the tuner but the surround functions work great) No one wants to work on it. It was $800 8 or 10 years ago and now I am told that I should can it. How ridicules. My family's budget doesn't allow for $800 for a receiver every ten years. WHo's does?

So if I am going to buy an HD tv I want to get my moneys worth and not some half crocked deal.. Analog is still the majority of the land and D* should cater to it.

How about these over the last 3 years:

Universal HD
HDnet Movies
NFL Network
TV guide channel
TV1
Lifetime Real Women
LOGO
Nicktoons
Comcast Sportsnet Chicago
Altitude Sports Network
Comcast Sportsnet Northwest
Many International channels
GOLtv
Sententa
3 MIX channels.

Am I missing any?

It's not D*'s fault, per se.. there's not a whole lot of new programming available.

Yeah, great.. MTV14 and ESPN8. whoop-dee-doo.

H

old rat said:
oh and living out in the sticks, where I live the choices for a true HD tv are few and far between. Yes you can get an HD "ready " tv. but this is not a true HD tv. It doesn't have the new shape, plus you have to buy the converter box. Thats not HD tv. Its not.

HD ready means that it can display an HD picture, but doesn't have a digital
tuner in it. It doesn't refer to the shape of the tube, although most HD ready
sets are widescreen.

Chip

Hogarth said:
It's not D*'s fault, per se.. there's not a whole lot of new programming available.

Yeah, great.. MTV14 and ESPN8. whoop-dee-doo.

H

That's true. There's not many new channels out there. So to get the newer channels, you definitely want to go HD because that's where the broadcasters have to be anyway in 5-10 years time or no one will watch them then. So go HD and enjoy the newfound viewing experience.

HD-ready is what you need. HDTV for a TV means that it has an off-air tuner built in which may or may not help you get locals in digital. But regardless of whether you can get HD locals off-air or not, you'd want a set top box because you'll need one to decode HD pay TV channels. In case someone tells you that you can use a CableCard to eliminate the need for a STB, just know that there are many problems they still have not worked out yet with those CableCards.

old rat said:
Tell me something D* has added. and no not the alternitive lifestyle channels. Tell me something that D* added that was NEW. TOTALLY DIFFERENT. in three years. NOTHING.
OK, ol' rat... you want somehting "NEW. TOTALLY DIFFERENT." What would you suggest? I get tired of people whining (yes, I said whining ) over what someone hasn't done, but not offering any constructive suggestions themselves. It makes me feel that they are just griping to hear themselves talk, or have a hidden agenda. So, ol' rat, the ball's in your court... what would you have D* add that is "NEW" and "TOTALLY DIFFERENT"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)